24" Wheel Spoke Confusion

djb

Right, I've done a search and checked the DT Swiss spoke calculator and have come up with numerous spoke length possibilities for the wheel I want to build up. I'm gonna get a Rhyno Lite XL (unless anyone recommends anything different sub £30 available 36 hole and in black) to build 3 cross on to a Hope Mono. The Sun website gives two different ERDs and the DT Swiss spoke calculator a third. These are 486mm, 493mm (confirmed by derf on here in a previous topic) and 497mm. Obviously these differences give quite substantial spoke length changes.

So my first question is what is the ERD of a Rhyno Lite?

My next problem is spoke choice its self, which seems to be very limited for 24". CRC only lists spokes in even lengths and the calculator always gives one side as odd. So is it better to go shorter or longer, or for the sake of 1mm does it even matter?

Third and final question, which spokes out of the DT Swiss or the Halo ones do people most recommend, or are there maybe some more out there that I have missed that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Cheers

Daniel

hey dude!

I built derfs wheel,,glad to say its still true.

I believe 493 is correct but ive lost my spokecalc data so cant be sure.

As for spokes, dt swiss are a benchmark. Get them through your local bike shop whatever.

But Ive found Sapim up the bar a bit in building terms.

The best thing to do is measure your rim using some cut down spokes , then get the hub dimensions off the hope website

then download damon richards spocalc from the web = happy chappy

let me know if u need anymore help.

chris

Cheers Chris. Further research has indeed confirmed 493mm is correct.

Only thing left to decide is whether to go shorter or longer. The calculator says use 235mm spokes on the drive side but CRC only does 234mm or 236mm, is one going to be better to use than the other or does it not really matter?

Further research has indeed confirmed 493mm is correct.

Is that the one listed on the Sun website? If so, its incorrect. The last pair of Rhyno Lites I built came out to more like 499... (bought spokes for an ERD of 493 and they were miles too short, had to buy more).

Gimme a few mins and I'll work out the lengths for you (Y)

Is that the one listed on the Sun website? If so, its incorrect. The last pair of Rhyno Lites I built came out to more like 499... (bought spokes for an ERD of 493 and they were miles too short, had to buy more).

Gimme a few mins and I'll work out the lengths for you (Y)

That is the measurement on their site, though the DT Swiss calculator says it's 497mm, which would tie in with what you're saying.

Your help is much appreciated.

I think just to be safe I'll buy the rim first and measure it up before ordering some spokes. Luckily i'm not in a rush to get it done and with both of you having built the rims up with different length spokes and them being a non-returnable item I can't be doing with the hassle of getting the wrong ones.

What a pain in the arse for something that should be so simple :rolleyes:

Cheers for your help guys.

For 100% accuracy I would agree, but the tooling isn't gonna change so all rims of the same model will have the same cross section.

Erm? id never rely on tooling when buliding a wheel! ( but maybe u are building more often than me,,well certainly you are!)

As a perfectionist rather than a dealer , I always work it it out the long way! it saves a lot of pain in the long run.

Wich makes makes me wonder how the people that post on tf about spoke sizes etc imagine they are going to make a good wheel?

read this!

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Wheelbuilding-Re...s/dp/0964983532

NB i know you know what u are doing adam!

Chris

I think just to be safe I'll buy the rim first and measure it up before ordering some spokes. Luckily i'm not in a rush to get it done and with both of you having built the rims up with different length spokes and them being a non-returnable item I can't be doing with the hassle of getting the wrong ones.

What a pain in the arse for something that should be so simple :rolleyes:

Cheers for your help guys.

Its not a pain in the arse! its a learning process!

buy your hub get its measurements

measure your rim etc etc

your on the right track! hope your interested , rather than the other loosers on this forum!

I think adam meant the tooling used to produce the rim, not build the wheel.

I've always used the DT swiss calculator, with whatever measurements I can take myself, but sometimes haveing to rely on the measurements on the sites. I have found the measurements on DT swiss to sometimes be wrong, like mr abbah SOS hub was considerably different to the measurements they listed. Haveing measured the hub myself and used the hope calculator for the rim (D321) and the spokes turned out perfectly.

id never rely on tooling when buliding a wheel! ( but maybe u are building more often than me,,well certainly you are!)

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I meant the extrusion tool made to create the rim section. These are hugely accurate and there is next to no variation (any more than 0.05mm would suprise me) between rims - measure some next time you have a few of the same :)

The only other place it can vary would be if the extrusion is cut to the wrong length, however on a 24" rim, cutting this piece of material long or short by even the massive amount of 5mm would only vary the ERD by 1.525mm! (So 0.75mm on each spoke.) I would estimate rim lengths are cut to within 1mm either way though.

I've certainly never been given any problems by not measuring each and every rim I build anyway (Y) (Up to 20 in a busy week.)

Wow, didn't realise I'd spark up such a discussion.

Chris, my comment about it being a pain was based on my previously simple selection of spokes to build a D521 onto a Mono in my first wheel building experience. I am always interested in learning and honing new skills and the satisfaction of riding on good strong wheels built by myself with the added bonus of £20 staying in my pocket is what makes me want to do it again.

It's nice to see there are other people passionate about getting things right and able to help lesser experienced enthusiasts. I'd just hoped (and possibly a bit naively assumed) that the dimensions would be the same for any given rim of the same make and model enabling me to order the rim and spokes together. Like Adam has explained it is hard to see how such differences as have been noted can be achieved in manufacturing, yet they obviously do and it is a point I will remember for future wheel builds (which will hopefully remain few and far between).

Thanks again to both of you for your comments (Y)