Few Geographical Questions..

omgnoseat

Right, i want to apologize first to make a whole new topic for just a couple of questions, but

it's important...

So here they are:

- Is every under sea earthquake's a tsunami, yes/no, why (not)?

- This one is about the Coriolis effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect)

The creation of cyclones is dependant of the coriolisis effect, the closer to the equator

how weaker the corilisis effect becomes, why?

- The area from texas to the east of nebraska in the USA is called the tornado alley, because

allot of tornado's are formed in the months april, may and june, why are alot of tornado's

formed during these months?

- Scouts in the mountains often do research in the form of ''depth survey''(propably not the real english word..) in the snow, this way they can do an analysis and find out if there is any risk of avalanches, how exactly does this work?

- What kind of measures are taken at new orleans against hurricanes now?

Sorry for the bad english, i had a hard time translating some of those things from dutch to english

If anyone could help me out on these questions (in easy english if it isnt asked too much)I would really appreciate it

Thanks in advance

lil bump before i go to sleep, I got till 11am (10am in england) to find the awnsers, it's for an exam which counts for 20% of my total mark, my teacher gave me directions that these questions might be asked, and i just want to make sure that i get them right

- Is every under sea earthquake's a tsunami, yes/no, why (not)?

No, not every undersea earthquake causes a tsunami. The earthquake/landslip will create a wave. The size of the wave depends on the size of the earthquake. The wave will start out large, but whether it becomes a tsunami depends on where it originates. If it originated in an elclosed sea, or it is travelling into a funnel shape coast or a channel, then it will cause a tsunami as it cannot disapte its energy any other way. as they wave aproaches shallow water it will grow and break. It the wave can travel unhindered across an ocean for thousands of miles, it will widen and disperse becoming smaller, and will not pose a threat.

- Scouts in the mountains often do research in the form of ''depth survey''(propably not the real english word..) in the snow, this way they can do an analysis and find out if there is any risk of avalanches, how exactly does this work?

By measuring the depth of snow at various points on a mountain, you can find any abnormal collections of snow, or a lot of snow on a steep slope. the measurements can be used in calculations to determine the probability of an avalanche.

Cant answer the others im afraid, but hopefully those will help.

You can cut a chunk out of the snow up to 6 ft deep - it's easy if you're on a steep slope. And then you can see the individual layers of the snow. For example, if there was a long warm period with no snowfall, you get a layer of ice (Due to freezing/thawing). Then on top of that you might have a layer of soft snow, and the layers can slide over each other, which can obviously cause an avalanche.

You can also do things like look at the different layers through a microscope, and see what they look like but I don't have a clue how that works. Also, once you've uncovered a snow column, you can see how compact-able it is, by bashing it down with a shovel and seeing which layers compress most, but again I don't know the ins and outs of it. Only seen it being done.

The other thing they sometimes do is to just to chuck a big chunk of ice/snow of a slope and see if it sets off an avalanche...

I set off an avalanche once. It was only about 60m long though :rolleyes:

hehe thanks

And i hope no one got hurt during the avalanche :P

Anyway, i just got the exam and he told me that my note is somewhere between 7.5 and 8.0 (out of 10)

Verry happy with that :D

topic can be closed/deleted now, thanks for the help ;)