Profile Hub Problem

Iain C

Hi, my friend has given me his Pyhthon to try and fix while he's away travelling, the problem is the rear profile hub goes really stiff when you tighten the 8mm allen bolts to hold the wheel in the frame, like to the extent where you can't even pedal it backwards when the wheel is actually done up, so to ride it you have to have the wheel really loose which leads to slack chain/dodgy brakes/probs damaging frame etc.

I'm assuming like a spacer is missing or something so its crushing the freewheel into the inside of the hub but i have no experience with profile hubs so don't really know where to start. Anyone else have this problem/know what i need to do?

Thanks.

Had the same problem when I replaced my bearings.

Take it apart, and see if there's a spacer inbetween each pair of driver bearings..if not, carefully try and take them out, and ring Profile, and they'll send you one for free.

...Did for my anyway... (Y)

Had the same problem when I replaced my bearings.

Take it apart, and see if there's a spacer inbetween each pair of driver bearings..if not, carefully try and take them out, and ring Profile, and they'll send you one for free.

...Did for my anyway... (Y)

its not *technically* a spacer, because its part of the driver itself (ie it doesn't drop out it you tap it) I don't know if there were different versions, because I recall you having problems and my driver sounded different to yours. All I know is I broke 3 vices in school trying to *push* the bearings out one side, when all the time I was pushing against this "shelf"

I managed to get mine out by jimmying a screw drive about in it...I just fiddled, and it worked.

You only need to get one pair of bearings out really...

Also, there are some wafer thing washers that go between the big hub spacers (silver- drive, black - non-drive) and the hub bearings.

Make sure it's got those.

Umm...can't really think of anything else...