Grinding A Rim!

-ANT-ONZA-

Hey I know that there are like a million and one threads about this sort of stuff but wanted a definite answer.

Is it worth grinding a rim? I’ve heard its great and that but am it damaging or anything?

The other problem I have is that I run maggies (HS33) on both front and rear. What pads would go best in your opinion. Again I'm sorry that I’m just replaying old threads but none of them have definite answers!!

hehe msnd you dude ;)

Hes running the Black KoolStops btw..

My opinion:

If your keeping those pads then grind away but if not then get some Koxx reds maybe, not to sure , check the "pads and opinion"..

Dont grind the front, just rebleed it and see what it is like.

On tues il give you some tar and if its not much better then do a light grind.. which i can help with..

no point trying to make black pads any better, it just wont work!!. Better off investing into some ZOO! pads, then the rim stays strong and the brake is mint still. As for the front, if you grind youre rim then make it very light or the black pads will wear down in about an hour.

Just try and get some new pads front and rear.

lewis.....

there really is no point in having koolstops.

if you want your brakes to work in wet get a grind and suitable pads.

if you dont want grind and dont ride in wet get zoo! pads.

whatever you do, you just need to spend about £18 for each brake

Cool cheers all this information is really helping. Brad no matter what you say I doubt i will trust tar heard to many stories of brakes stciking lol. I think rear grind sounds good and the info is going downa treat! thanks for the help guys (Y)

Hi

I've just bought 2 pairs of green Rock pads for my front and rear Maggies from Tarty. I'm a bit old hat and I've stuck with smooth rims without using tar. I'm running a Sun Rhyno Lite XL on the front and Alex DX32 on the rear. The pads are absolutely awesome, especially on the Rhyno Lite machined surface! I haven't had a chance to try the pads out in the rain yet, as the weather's been nice so far!

I've got a few mates who are running grinds at uni, the trend there seems to be Koxx browns. The thing that's always put me off getting a grind is once you start grinding your rim, you have to grind it again a few months down the line, which means new rims and new pads pretty soon!

Ray

Cool cheers all this information is really helping. Brad no matter what you say I doubt i will trust tar heard to many stories of brakes stciking lol. I think rear grind sounds good and the info is going downa treat! thanks for the help guys (Y)

Yes, and lmao when they sticking they dont mean literaly sticking to the rim and moving back, theres a slight delay of them coming back but like i say , thats only becuase the people telling those stories are loading tar on like butter. Il show you tuesday.

hi

i know someone who grinded there rim a total of 23 times before it collapsed so i would say its well worth going for it and as for pads i would go with some koxx browns and a light smidging of tar for the win. :lol: you can get them from tartybikes.co.uk however if you read the pads section and it has recemandations for what grind you should have with the pads and even what weher it works well in. :lol:

rick

Hi

I've just bought 2 pairs of green Rock pads

yeah theyr meant to be similar compound to zoo! pads.

aparently any pads designed for a smooth rim won't in the wet

grinds are good, people who like sharp grinds have rims that last more than a year...

let alone if they ground it once every 6 months.

Edited by Grant H

yea go fore it mate grind it always good just don't do it to many times because apparently it weakens your rim after a certain amount of grinds and then buy some really good pads.. i have rim jam v3 at the moment but there are not the best pads to get go for koxx :turned:

hehe msnd you dude ;)

Hes running the Black KoolStops btw..

My opinion:

If your keeping those pads then grind away but if not then get some Koxx reds maybe, not to sure , check the "pads and opinion"..

Dont grind the front, just rebleed it and see what it is like.

On tues il give you some tar and if its not much better then do a light grind.. which i can help with..

In future don't listen to little Brad. He was completely wrong. I've actually got Koxx Bloxx (browns) But I didnt know as I looked at them in the dark. We put tar on today and tehy are working mint. Only problem is.....Snapped the chain tensioners so had to buy a new set (£20!!!!!)

Cheers anyway