Uni/ Renting Info/ Help Please.

HarshRider

basiclly im trying uni again to get myself some decent qualifications and ill be moving to bournemouth.

i will be going right into renting and will be with my girlfreind.

problem being on the contract it is stateded strickly no animals, strickly no bikes.

I have planned to take with me my trials bike and a small folding bike to get around with. i also have 2 gerbils in a take i would have to take as there is no where else for them to go.

what have other people done when it comes to renting. i dont wanna just take them with me incase i get caught and we get kick out.

any help welcomed!

cheers rich

pets..

Because they're gerbils that live in a cage they're basically no different from having fish in a tank so if you negotiate you'll probably be allowed them - the no pets thing is usually aimed at dogs/cats etc which can do a lot of damage to a house.

Breaking the no animals rule can be tricky if you have an arsehole landlord that turns up unannounced all the time. I had one a year or two back who'd turn up on saturday mornings a lot (in breach of contrat) - I opened the door holding a bat and told him to f**k off one morning and didnt see him again till we gave the keys back, I wouldn't advise that approach unless you know you're going to get away with it though.

bikes...

The rules said strictly no bikes in uni halls but I chose to keep the bike in my room and pay the fines every term rather than leave my baby outside.

Remember, they can kick you out for breach of contract but they're not going to want to lose their money so it's not going to happen unless you do something very wrong indeed (or they're a complete fanny).

Think my hall in first year said no bikes but had it at the end of my bed all year and they saw it in inspections and never complained. Second and third year was in this worse for wear house so didn't matter, landlord saw all three bikes didn't mind. In a newer hall this year and it said no bikes and I asked them they still said no bikes. For inspections I've just put one with wheels off in a big bike bag under the desk with the trials bike on top and covered it with clothes!

If you aren't damaging it then shouldn't be a big problem, but be prepared to lose some of your deposit if you have. Landlords aren't allowed to come round and visit without notice but that doesn't mean much!

At my hall of residence they have a bike shed where you're meant to keep your bike. They say you can't keep them in flats. However, there are several reasons I wouldn't want to keep my bike in there: other people are careless, it might rust, and I know how easy it is to pick locks. So I went and saw the site manager and asked about keeping it in my room - she told me that as long as it's not in the hallway where the cleaners come, she won't know if it's in my room or not. If I meet someone in the lift then I'll just say I'm taking it inside to work on it.

As for pets, my flatmate 2 years ago had a hamster which he kept in his room, he just took the cage in covered by a towel so again - if it's in your room, they won't know.

YMMV.

I have been in halls for all 3 years, because it's simpler, more sociable and more secure. I will probably be in halls when I do my MSc next year too.