What Am I Doing Wrong?

Anjow

Why can't my bike just stay happy?

When I get things set how I want them it works for a day and then it screws up all over again. I have it so the cones are tight enough, the brakes aren't catching, the chain is neither too tight nor too loose, then within 24 hours either the brakes are catching, the wheel is wobbling or the chain is about to fall off. What makes it even more frustrating is how the position of the back wheel changes between when I've set it up and when I've ridden it. When I set it up it is just right then within 10 minutes of riding the chain has slackened right off even though I'm using the chain tensioners.

It wouldn't be such a problem to ride-test how I've set it up if I didn't live on the 9th floor and didn't have to cart my bike down in the lift and through a load of security doors each time.

On top of this it seems that the little ridges around the magura pistons that hold it in place in the little ring thing are just in the wrong places, it ends up so one of my rear pads is closer than the other whatever way I try it.

At the moment I've got enough on my plate with a big dissertation due in next week and the one thing that's meant to help me relax is even more of a pain in the arse than the huge report I'm doing. I'm on the verge of just sticking the bike in the corner and saying 'f*ck it'.

I'm ranting.

Also, can someone tell me about snail cams? Would one of those help with my chain problem? I don't know anything about them.

I'm on the verge of just sticking the bike in the corner and saying 'f*ck it'.

I'm ranting.

Also, can someone tell me about snail cams? Would one of those help with my chain problem? I don't know anything about them.

Yeah bikes suck. I know your problem. My trials bike is always a mess but the bmx seems fairly happy with itself.

Snails cams, tend to work alot nicer generally than axle tensioners. I'd say 80%+ of people would rather run snail cams over tensioners. I think there was a poll on them a while back. The thing with snail cams is they just turn into position using your fingures.

I know the feeling - I seem to have to true my wheel every 5 mins and now I've got a lazy piston in one side of my break.

I don't think there's really a solution - just look at whats causing the problem, take your time and hopfully the troubles will pass.

I often take a load of tools out with me so I can fine tune things on the ride.

(Y)

i check my bike all the time before i ride, its just the way a trials bike is i suppose. i used to swear by chain tugs, until i actually tried snail cams. snail cams are far less hassle as you can adjust them how you want with out a 10MM spanner (Y)

chris

I use monty snail cams which are notched, the notches are smaller than that on fresh product's and others i've seen, and I really havn't have any issues with them. I only ever have to do anything with them to remove my wheel, I think I have lost tension once in a year using them, and that was only one notch, so the chain was still tight, just not us tight as I like.

Which would you recommend out of these two:

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=34 (notchless)

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=2092 (notched)

These are used instead of the other sort of chain tensioners, right? Not alongside them?

From the look of it, these are what I currently have:

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=169

Edited by Anjow

I guess it'll bug you knowing that i leave my bike in the garden uncovered overnight, never adjust things besides fitting a new component and most of the time my bike is always working. I never come back home and fix the bike after a ride. I never fix it up before i go out on a ride. I just pick it up and use it.

Never really have problems with stuff, i mean, my 2 year old chain snapped the other week, but besides that the worst thing i've had happen was... ermm... well, i fitted new brake pads :lol:

I run the try-all ones and they are really good. they give you unlimited amount of adjustment unlike the Monty notched ones. there easy to fit as well.

1. there is a Little holes on your dropouts (where your wheel fits into) that allows a small bolt to be fitted into it (one either side)

2. put the bolts into your frame so that the bolt head is facing your wheel, or effectively each other.

3. place the cams so that they are in between the hub and the frame, and put the wheel back into the drop outs.

4. reattach the chain, and pull on your back wheel till the chain line is how you like it. the cams should be touching the bolt how they should.

5. tight up your wheel, make sure that the chain line is how you want it. job done

hope i helped

Chris