Video Cameras

Watson©

Hey... I'm going to be buying a Camcorder but I dont really know whats good for the money and if it will work with no problems on my PC for video editing etc. Is it better to have a DVD version rather than a MiniDV and whats the best MegaPixel to have for decent quality to produce a watchable video lol...

What do you all use?? ( links to the cameras would be nice ^_^ )

This is the camera I had in mind... any good?

Here...

All help and advice would be much appreciated (Y)

I think DVD ones are harder to edit/import. Megapixels on a video camera doesn't matter! Thats only for still shots not actully quility. If you want to learn more about camcorders and how to use them at there best I would go for ethier a high range 1ccd or middle range 3ccd. If your just want to film then edit, low range 3 ccd ones are good! I think Charel Is still selling his Panasonic which do good camcorders. How much are you looking to spend?

Dont get a DVD one. They are a pain in the arse, different formats and compability issues etc. Either mini DV or HD i guess?

Mini DV is easy enough to use and upload as long as you have firewire really. The quality is pertty good as well so i'd go for that.

DVD are crap, DV is what you want. There's a fairly good site on the net which you might find helpful: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

Read the reviews on that website, they really do cover everything you will want to know.

The resolution isn't really that important - after all DV footage only has 0,42Mpix so there'll won't be much difference between a 1Mpix CCD and 3Mpix as long as you just shoot video footage (the image will be a bit sharper, but the low-light performance will be worse). Higher res will effect the photos obviously, so if you intend to use it as a still camera as well, go for higher resolution. Also, look for a camera that has some manual controls, they can be really handy. I use exposure, focus and shutter speed controls all the time.

Personally, I'd stick with Canon or Sony. As far as budget cameras are concerned, Sony are probably the best. Canons are extremely good but come at a steep price, the cheaper models aren't worth getting.

I've been using a Sony DCR-HC1000 for over 2 years now, great camera. Changing to the HDR-HC7 in a few weeks time, purely out of interest.

I use a Sanyo Xacti CA6, it has AWESOME quality, it's in your price range and it's piss easy to transfer the videos on to your computer because it runs on SD cards. 6 megapixels, plus it's a tiny little bugger that will fit into your pocket (unless you wear gay tight jeans). So yeah, I like it, it's weather proof (good for scotland ;) ) and with 6MP you can't go wrong.

Amazon link.

Edited by Dani.

DVD are crap, DV is what you want. There's a fairly good site on the net which you might find helpful: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

Read the reviews on that website, they really do cover everything you will want to know.

I've been using a Sony DCR-HC1000 for over 2 years now, great camera.

Cheers for the advice man... that site rather good!

The Sony DCR-HC1000 is abit out my price range lol...

Been looking at this one now... seems good enough SONY HC37 ... What you think?

I got one of the DVD ones when I was on holiday in Asia when they were bleeding edge stuff, It was pretty f**king sweet! But when I wanted to put it on my PC it wasnt very user friendly and the file size was massive (Latest video was 3:35s which took up 210MB) Everytime you want to put a video on your PC it needs to be convereted into a more portable format for playback. The only deacent and hassle free playback was when I plugged it straight into a TV. Plus it had to be compressed like a motherf**ker before I could get it on YouTube. So yeah.. Not really worth it if you're trying to put your videos on the net :turned:

What I'd look for is an average camera that comes with a deacent battery life and a lot of memory if it's internal.

Been looking at this one now... seems good enough SONY HC37 ... What you think?

Yeah, I've played around with a few of these small Sony cameras and they're rather good, definitely worth the money.

Check out the Sony HC96 and Canon Optura 600, they're much better than what you mentioned yet still in your price range I think?