Disk Rubs

rider_01

Hydraulic yes? There is no "adjuster". Dude, just undo the bolts that connect the caliper to the forks, keep your brake pressed, do up the bolts and hey presto its done (not very well but its good enough usually), if you want it perfect your need to get the mounts faced.

Hydraulic yes? There is no "adjuster". Dude, just undo the bolts that connect the caliper to the forks, keep your brake pressed, do up the bolts and hey presto its done (not very well but its good enough usually), if you want it perfect your need to get the mounts faced.

I dont quite get what you mean but surely if you take the brake caliper off and press the brake then the pads will get closer and therefore rub worse. So dont do that.

Take the caliper of and push the pistons all the way back in with a screw driver then put it back on and pump the brake and see if that helped. If not and it is the pad nearest the wheel that is rubbing then get some washers and put them between your caliper and the disk mount this will space the caliper over sorting the problem. Just keep adding and removing washers untill its just right.

hey

got my disk to stop rubbing but now it doesnt hold as good as it did when i first got the bike, the brake feels mushy meening there is flex in the lever, could it need bleeding? If so how do i bleed it and whats best to use in it ?

cheers sean (Y)

Go find the manual for this brake and read it. It seems that you have bought/aquired the item and not gone about understanding it before hand.

This may sound harsh but as a self taught bike mechanic I learnt all of my work by reading and doing it.

How did you check to see that your rotor wasnt bent ?

Also what forks are they mounted on?

i no what you meen about the self teaching as i teach myself but the bike is a onza t-mag and it come on the bike with no manuel, otherwise i

would be ok, iv also never worked with disk brakes because iv always run hs33's so iv never needed to know anything about them

any help would be appreciated (Y)

sean

i no what you meen about the self teaching as i teach myself but the bike is a onza t-mag and it come on the bike with no manuel, otherwise i

would be ok, iv also never worked with disk brakes because iv always run hs33's so iv never needed to know anything about them

any help would be appreciated (Y)

sean

Manual, and its available on the magura website.

Use mineral oil.

Do not use any DOT fluid in it, as it'll rape the seals, and pretty much everything else.

I don't think Dani meant to take the brake off completely. Just had to undo the bolts (that hold the caliper on) slightly, pull the brake, and then do the bolts back up.

In theory this should work, as when you pull the lever, both pads come at the same time, which should center the rotor in the caliper. - Meaning no/very little rub. (Y)

Now you say it's not holding, you've probably contaminated it somehow.

take the pads off, and boil them. - Wack them in a pan with some water, and put it on the hob for a while. Hopefully all the oil will come off.

Another thing to try, is get a lighter, and just burn the pads a bit. Once all the black smoke has gone, that should mean you've burnt off any oil on there.

For the rotor, put it in the dishwasher (obviously wash it in there) and that should be fine too.

All of these has worked for my BB7, so I don't see why it shouldn't work for any other brake.

Just be sure to not get any oil on the pads or rotor when you re-bleed it. ;)

Use mineral oil.

Do not use any DOT fluid in it, as it'll rape the seals, and pretty much everything else.

I don't think Dani meant to take the brake off completely. Just had to undo the bolts (that hold the caliper on) slightly, pull the brake, and then do the bolts back up.

In theory this should work, as when you pull the lever, both pads come at the same time, which should center the rotor in the caliper. - Meaning no/very little rub. (Y)

Now you say it's not holding, you've probably contaminated it somehow.

take the pads off, and boil them. - Wack them in a pan with some water, and put it on the hob for a while. Hopefully all the oil will come off.

Another thing to try, is get a lighter, and just burn the pads a bit. Once all the black smoke has gone, that should mean you've burnt off any oil on there.

For the rotor, put it in the dishwasher (obviously wash it in there) and that should be fine too.

All of these has worked for my BB7, so I don't see why it shouldn't work for any other brake.

Just be sure to not get any oil on the pads or rotor when you re-bleed it. ;)

You wont be able to center it like that, as the louises bolt onto the disc mount. That method will work for the avid and hayes brakes, but as soon as you tighten the bolts with the louise it gets pulled over again.

What you actually want to do is undo it.. hold the caliper in the right place and get someone to wrap an elastic band round the bars and lever blade... this'll hold it in place leaving both hands free. Now you need to put little shims between the disc tab on the forks, and the caliper. This way when you do the bolts up it stays in the right place.Hold the shims in place, slide the bolt through and tighten till fully in place. Wait till both bolts are in most of the way before fully tightening.

If you dont have disc shims, you can make them out of a cut up coke can (be careful, they can have sharp edges)just make a ring shape with a hole in the centre big enough for you bolt. I've even used part of a fag packet to shim my louise during a brum ride.