Pc Gamers

RR_Trials

Right, i have decided i am going to try and get into some computer games 'low system requirement type ones' but team server shoot up type things. Sort of like Americas Army but less dependent on high spec computers. I am going to try and save for a decent desktop to do some gaming on.

Anyway i have downloaded 'steam' and just downloaded a demo of some game, when i try to open it its come sup with 'unsupported pixel shader version 0.0'. So if anybody could help with that i would greatly appreciate it as pixel shader means nothing to me :S.

According to Steam my system information is as follows...

Processor Information:

Vendor: GenuineIntel

Speed: 1397 Mhz

1 logical processor

1 physical processor

HyperThreading: Unsupported

RDTSC: Supported

CMOV: Supported

FCMOV: Supported

SSE: Supported

SSE2: Supported

3DNOW: Unsupported

Network Information:

Network Speed:

IP Address: 192.168.0.XXX

Windows Version:

XP Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) (32 bit)

NTFS: Supported

Video Card:

Driver: Winvnc video hook driver

DirectX Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll

Driver Version: 1.00.17

DirectX Driver Version: 6.14.10.4497

Driver Date: 3 Mar 2005

Desktop Color Depth Not Detected

Monitor Refresh Rate Not Detected

DirectX Card: Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller

VendorID: 0x8086

DeviceID: 0x3582

Number of Monitors: 2

Number of Video Cards: 2

No SLI or Crossfire Detected

Primary Display Resolution: 1280 x 800

Desktop Resolution: 2432 x 864

Primary Display Size: 12.60" x 7.87" (14.84" diag)

32.0cm x 20.0cm (37.7cm diag)

Primary Display Type Not Detected

Primary Bus Type Not Detected

Primary AGP GART Not Detected

Primary VRAM: 453 MB

Primary Monitor Vendor Not Detected

Primary Monitor Model Not Detected

Supported MSAA Modes Not Detected

Game Display Settings

Sound card:

Audio device: Realtek AC97 Audio

Memory:

RAM: 735 Mb

Miscellaneous:

UI Language: English

Microphone: Not set

Media Type: DVD

Total Hard Disk Space Available: 43590 Mb

Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 11107 Mb

So if you know of any games i could play on this machine that would be good.

Also if you know of a cheap desktop that will run most games and can support duel screen that would be good to know, but I'm not to interested in all that ATM just looking for prices.

So yeah... Since i thought I'm getting into it, i may aswell start a thread as I'm bound to need lots of help from you game gods and I'm sure other can benefit from this thread too.

Cheers.

Super slow processor with onboard graphics and not a lot of ram. I don't think you'll be getting far on that at all. Aliens vs predator (the first one, not the second :P), Unreal tournament, quake 2 (maybe 3 at low settings), doom 2 :lol:

To be honest mate, its not worth gaming on it at all, you'll be sorely disappointed in the end results.

To be running on dual screens (you won't want to in gaming, because funnily enough, for a 1st person shooter the crosshair is split in half between the two screens... which is awful) you'll want soemthing with dual outputs, which has been on most cards since over 3 years ago.

In order to play new pc games like crysis, stalker, timeshift, ghost recon AW 2, Rainbow six vegas etc you'll want to be splashing out around a grand, which might not even cover the monitors, maybe one... but not 2. In order to play older games, a pc of around £600 might do it.

Most of todays games require

3ghz processor or equivalent

1gb ram (xp), 2gb ram (vista)

at least 8gb free hard drive space (per game)

graphics card with 256mb ram or higher. starting at the geforce 6800's and higher/ati x1600's and higher.

dvd drive

internet connection

Thats not even just to play them well, thats to play them AT ALL. Mine meets/beats all of that and i wouldn't want to try playing new games on it. It would be a waste of money.

Space Invaders?

Seriously. If you want to play games, you will need a new rig.

The fact you have a slow processor and on board graphics is a real issue, the RAM should be sufficient.

The Pixel Shader is an feature of the graphics card which allows the card to perform specific functions. At the moment, I believe it's PS 3.0, having 0.0 is jsut a factor of having an old in built graphics system.

Ok, cheers guys, if its a grand i need then that is what it would have to be because as far as im concerned i need a new pc anyway, itl just take some time.

Ill try one of those games that you suggested for the mean while.

Cheers.

P.S Can the pixel shader be updated, like a new updated driver or somthing.

Edited by RR_Trials

Ok, cheers guys, if its a grand i need then that is what it would have to be because as far as im concerned i need a new pc anyway, itl just take some time.

Ill try one of those games that you suggested for the mean while.

Cheers.

P.S Can the pixel shader be updated, like a new updated driver or somthing.

Simple enough answer, no.

Long answer, the pixel shader is a type of rendering done by the card and is built into the hardware. Dedicated soundcards have things like shader model 2.0, 3.0 and soon to be shader model 4. These are functions the boards can do that have been classed as a feature and given a name. You can't update the driver and have it alter the hardware... its just not possible.... yet.

No, they are hardware. And you don't have any in your on board graphics.

Seriously, my PC struggles with some games (DOOM 3, Americas Army, etc.)

With an Intel 3.4GHz Extreme

1Gb RAM

x800 pro graphics

Come the autum, it will be largely redundant because of DX10.

And I'll have to find a way of upgrading.

try updating your video driver.

the one your currently using is old:

Video Card:

Driver: Winvnc video hook driver

DirectX Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll

Driver Version: 1.00.17

DirectX Driver Version: 6.14.10.4497

Driver Date: 3 Mar 2005

I'd be very surprised if your comp couldn't run CS 1.6, which is an awesome game. I used to play that game fine on my 700MHz PC. Screw new games, old games are just as good :P

Haz, I'm not sure why your comp struggles with Doom3, my comp isn't as good as that (AMD 64 3200+, 1Gb, 9800Pro) and it takes doom no probs.

All is not lost on the gaming front although online FPS playing isn't gonna happen

get hold of MAME and start stealing ROMS for it - you'll get access to all the old arcade games like streetfighter, final fight, mortal kombat, metal slug, outrun - all that shite.

also

GTA1, GTA2, Doom 1 & 2, original wolfenstein, duke nukem, quake 1 & 2, Lemmings, worms 1, 2 & armageddon (if you're lucky enough to have the right combination of hardware for XP to allow it), command and conquer

should all work ok

tomm, haz

9800 pro = top end old graphics card

x800 = low end new graphics card

That's why

Edited by poopipe