Grinds

robb_o

Rims dont come pre ground as they would cost a fortune to do!

Onza made some knurled rims a while back, dont think they took off though...

Grinds are there to increase grip due to the sharp surface after a grind.

Smooth rims will be ok soon anyway as the weather is getting better so no need for them.

Rims dont come pre ground as they would cost a fortune to do!

Onza made some knurled rims a while back, dont think they took off though...

Grinds are there to increase grip due to the sharp surface after a grind.

Smooth rims will be ok soon anyway as the weather is getting better so no need for them.

xactly, well said si-man

I much prefer the feel of a grind though. Its noticeably different and although i can't quite put my finger on what it is... running smooth rims just feels wrong no matter what bike/rim setup i use.

I would hardly call having a grind a result of people trying to "fit in with the crowd"... its just its a better all round brake for multiple conditions. We're in england not america or egypt. It might be fine to have smooth rims one day in the sunshine then it'll be drizzling the next day. With a grind you don't have to worry about it as your brake will be better in both conditions.

I much prefer the feel of a grind though. Its noticeably different and although i can't quite put my finger on what it is... running smooth rims just feels wrong no matter what bike/rim setup i use.

I would hardly call having a grind a result of people trying to "fit in with the crowd"... its just its a better all round brake for multiple conditions. We're in england not america or egypt. It might be fine to have smooth rims one day in the sunshine then it'll be drizzling the next day. With a grind you don't have to worry about it as your brake will be better in both conditions.

smooth rim = soft pads = shit lever feel

ground rim = harder pads = better feel.

grinding has improved since it 1st started of years ago, then a grind was channels every cm to disperse water. my brakes work in the wet and dust without a grind and work immensely well in the dry aswell. its all a case of following the crowd it seems nowadays (and i know the benefits of a grind thanks (N) )

WST

yeah shame you cant spell them

Hey, you asked the question, I thought I answered it pretty fully.

Stick with your brakes, if youre that againsnt change (for the better).

But dont stress if I laugh at your because youve posted a thread about your broken your tail bone because of riding in the wet with smooth rims.

Edited by afroman

But dont stress if I laugh at your because youve posted a thread about your broken your tail bone because of riding in the wet with smooth rims.

he hasnt?

smooth rims are just gay, saying grinding them is a waste of money? well a rim can have like 20 grind and be rideable.

if you grind once a month thats 20 months, a long time for a rim in my eyes

smooth rim = soft pads = shit lever feel

ground rim = harder pads = better feel.

I'm not a n00b, i know how different pads feel. Its a subtle underlying difference between the rim surfaces thats apparant in the feel of the lever as it bites and throughout the entirety of the bike and the lacking of the reverbial noise produced by the aggressiveness as they make contact with the ground surface that results in a total loss of confidence and ultimately a decreased ability to perform well on said bike.

I'm not a n00b, i know how different pads feel. Its a subtle underlying difference between the rim surfaces thats apparant in the feel of the lever as it bites and throughout the entirety of the bike and the lacking of the reverbial noise produced by the aggressiveness as they make contact with the ground surface that results in a total loss of confidence and ultimately a decreased ability to perform well on said bike.

didnt mean to make you feel that way.

just trying to say i think the same and thats what i see is making the big difference.