Carb and throttle problems

Axlemorgan

Ive got a Beta rev3 250 2004.

cleaned the carb out the other day, nothing major just a quick squirt of carb cleaner. Didnt remove any jets or mess with idle or mixture screws. 

Noticed that my throttle cable just above the slide cylinder was really frayed so replaced it. 

When it came to starting it up it took ages then when it did start it reved its tits off!! Quickly shut it off and adjusted the screw just above the carb that the throttle cable goes into. This has seemed to calm it down considerably. I cant understand how this works as it only adjusts the outer sleeve of the cable???? It also seems to adjust into the top of the carb.

The problem i have now is that when the choke is down the revs seem to rise but when pulled up it idles better. Shouldnt it be the other way around?? This happens even when warmed up.

Also revs rise when on full right lock ive checked the cable isnt snagged anywhere. Is my cable to short or do i still need to mess with the adjustment????

cheers for any help

IMG_5292.JPG

Hi. The issues you're having is definitely cable related. 

The barrel adjuster on top of the carb when wound out would put tension on the inner cable and when wound in release tension which would close the carb. 

It seems like you've just cut the cable too short. 

15 hours ago, Axlemorgan said:

IMG_5292.JPG

All that thread showing on top of the carb doesn't look right to me... Surely that should be threaded in probably with a locknut of some sort and then the cable adjustment should just be on the adjuster at the top of the cable? The issues sound like they're related to the cable length and tension. 

• 2 weeks later...

For future reference this a push bike not motorbike forum.

Your problem is however either an airleak (probably from an incorrectly fitted cable) or more likely you have over-tensioned the cable which is pulling you slide up and (the same as if you were opening the throttle.

Check the cable end is correctly in the slide, check the noodle is correctly fitted with appropriate locking nut. Adjust the barrel adjuster so your throttle has a little freeplay and make sure your idle screw is correctly set.