Problems With My King Hub..

Sam Nichols

Hey, basically I've had this hub for pretty much a year now and it's been serviced about three times [once by tarty and twice by myself].

Whilst I was at the DJ ride it started skipping pretty badly for the first time in a LONG time. I put this down to it needing another quick clean up and relube etc. So when I got back to guernsey i took it apart gaev it a good clean and used some 10weight synthetic oil [as reccomended by the King manual].

For a few days it was ace. Unfortunately now it is absolutely shagged. I can't even kick for a small gap without it skipping and sometimes it skips before i can even put it on the back wheel. Even worse than that, the point when i realised it was proper screwed was when trying to do a pretty big gap and it skipped about 4/5 engagements.

Obviously I've stopped using it now!

Basically I just want to know what I've done? What should I replace [there's no visible damage on the driveshell]. Is it possible i used too much lube? Have i tightened the cones too much OR not enough?

I'm really confused :( Any ideas?

When you say you have serviced the hub, have you completly stripped the internals and cleaned it all up? or have you just removed the drive shell and cleaned the splines and added the synthetic oil, as if that is the case it could be it needs to be completly stripped and all the internals cleaned up.

Also I found that using Finishline cross country chain lube worked best in my king, as I used to use the Chris King ringdrive glue product but that was terrible, it made the hub skip constantly. I had my king for 3 years and only had to service it about twice using cross country chainlube (Y)

Dan.

Well, presumably when Adam serviced it he to took it all apart. I don't have the neccersary tools to take it apart completely though. Saying that I have had a few skips before so I've done exactly the same thing and it's been fine. Odd.

It's a shame I live in Guernsey because it means I have to send my wheel away if I want it properly serviced. Not good!

Just pull the freehub off and clean it off with a rag, then use a very light lube like tri flow or a thin wet chain lube and that is all you will needto do, especially if it's only a year old.

King suggest a thicker lube, but it makes your freehub paws stick therefore making your hub skip. I had the same problem, then I cleaned it and used fresh lube and have never had that problem again, and I haven't touvhed my hub in 2 years, it's working fine.

Try this first before pulling everything apart fully, and or replacing parts.

Just pull the freehub off and clean it off with a rag, then use a very light lube like tri flow or a thin wet chain lube and that is all you will needto do, especially if it's only a year old.

King suggest a thicker lube, but it makes your freehub paws stick therefore making your hub skip. I had the same problem, then I cleaned it and used fresh lube and have never had that problem again, and I haven't touvhed my hub in 2 years, it's working fine.

Try this first before pulling everything apart fully, and or replacing parts.

Kings have no pawls. >_<

Anyway thats what he' doing and it isn't helping. <_<

best to send it to tarty really. those guys know their stuff. if you screw it up its just gonna cost you more to service.

Yeah I know that's the best way but when you live in Guernsey it complicates matters. Sending the whole wheel is slow and costly and just generally something I'd rather do :(

I would ask adam himself but I think he blocked me :lol:

Meh, I mihgt take it apart and spend more time cleaning it and stuff.

I have heard of people using seatposts to open their kings up, but it's not something I'd recomend. The way I service my king, and it hasn't slipped in aaaaaagggggeeeesssss, is open up and get most of the crap I can out with a good clean rag, then I get my can of gt85, make a gap between the two driverings and flush it out with the gt85. I use a toothbrush to clean the helix and then I use a hairdryer (or hoover) to dry the insides out. Once they are dry and clean I put in a few drops of finish line wet loob and away you go. (Y)

Im no king expert. The one Ive had for 2 years has slipped only once. When i first got it. It was serviced by Tart as I bought it from him. Before I had it, it belonged to a XC rider. I rode trials on it for a year-year and 1/2. After this I slowed down trials wise and put it on my 'getting places' bike. It must have had a good few miles of smooth use. It never slipped during that time and since it has gone back on my trials bike it hasnt slipped either. So altogether ~2years constant use with one minor blip.

Could it be that putting a few smooth miles through the hub does it any favours? Or is it just a coincidence?

When I do service it once every 6months or so I blast it out with wd40 give it a clean with a rag and put a few drops of finishline in there. :closedeyes:

Will.

Edited by will