Pc Related Issues/questions.

Sam F

Well, theres alot of topics being created lately asking how to fit stuff for computers, what PC's/Laptop's people recommend, how to fix stuff on them so i thought why not make a topic for it all! :)

So yeah basically if you have any problems, issues, quaries then list them here.

Edited by Sam F

I might buy my brother's dell desktop computer from him.

I plan to upgrade it, to add a couple of things inside.

It has inside a set of three ports that are where the PCI slots are. Thing is, they're all different. A really short one, a medium sized one and a long one.

I just wonder what I can put in each?

I want to put a wireless internet card in, a firewire card and a graphics card.

I haven't got a picture.

Another question, what happens when you put a graphics card in a computer with integrated graphics?

Normally if you just put a graphics card in and plug the moniter into that, it will use the card as default.

EDIT: Jeff, download CPU-Z, run it and it tells you everything about the hardware you're running.

Edited by Muel

Well it depends on how old the Dell is and what spec it has and what you're looking for the PC to do...

If you're wanting to play the lastest games and all that, it'd probably be wise to start from scratch - simply because there is little point in upgrading the graphics card if the rest of the system is going to hold it back.

The dell 2 years old...

it's got an AMD 64bit proc, dual core. I think it might weigh in at 2.6 or something? I can't remember, lol.

It has 2gb ram, but 2 more slots so I'm going to fill that up.

It has Nvidia integrated graphics, but it has the slot to take a better card.

It has a fair sized hard drive, maybe 140gb, SATA, but I have my external HD, 500gb (460, lol)

I would like it to run games like half-life 2, but that's no issue as my laptop (which is considerably worse :P) runs it alright.

Also, supreme commander, but I've heard on full graphics settings even a badass computer struggles.

I mainly want it for photoshopping, using illustrator and aftereffects.

:)

My brother will sell up for £180, and if I can get the rest of the parts for £100, even £150, I think I've got a decent deal.

I forgot to add, he wisely went for XP 64, as opposed to Vista, which I have, on 1gb ram.

Edited by Revolver

• 2 months later...