Why Cant I Post...

on ya bike

Well you see if you had read the forums rules you would known that you can only post in new members chat because the forum operates on a validation system once you have registered. Your profile has to get checked up regally. And then when they think you are ready you will get validated. All you need to do to get validated is Lay down good topics and help people in the best way you can I hope this explains your question. ALEX

We need to think of some new way to get the guidelines across to new people.

A majority of people see a load of text, and just click 'ok, I accept' or 'next' whatever.

I'll admit, I do the same when installing programs.. Next...Next.. Accept...Install...OK...etc.

I did think that each rule can be on a page, so you see:

"No buying or selling in NMC"

'Ok' - Next rule..

...But that would take ages to register, and be highly irritating.

That's all I can think of actually..an idea that won't work. :unsure:

Any more ideas?

Oh yeah, you need to be validated to post in the rest of the forum.

Instead of typing like you do in a text to save characters, type properly. Like you would in a GSCE English exam that you really want to pass.

I know it's just a forum, but it's an English forum, so why not type out our language properly? - We have a fair few foreign members too, and I doubt they can understand all this 'txt tlk' rubbish that we get on here.

I've heard that the English language is very hard to learn anyway (for foreign people..obviously?) so don't make it any harder for them...

A majority of people see a load of text, and just click 'ok, I accept' or 'next' whatever.

I'll admit, I do the same when installing programs.. Next...Next.. Accept...Install...OK...etc.

'Ok' - Next rule..

Any more ideas?

Instead of typing like you do in a text to save characters, type properly. Like you would in a GSCE English exam that you really want to pass.

I know it's just a forum, but it's an English forum, so why not type out our language properly? - We have a fair few foreign members too, and I doubt they can understand all this 'txt tlk' rubbish that we get on here.

I've heard that the English language is very hard to learn anyway (for foreign people..obviously?) so don't make it any harder for them...

As you can see, Dan and I agree on a lot of things, the problem with getting pre-members to read the rules, that Zona Zips are by far the best MODS etc.

'Ok' - Next rule..

Any more ideas?

I think when you sign up to the site all you can see is the rules and mikes guide to validation bit, then with writing on top saying read the rules then click ok at the bottom once read if you brake them you will get banned for however long, depending on someone trying to sell something or ctin lk dis.

why not if they cant be bothered to read and stick to the rules whats the point in letting them post.

Is deng in the process of making a 24" frame then?

I think when you sign up to the site all you can see is the rules and mikes guide to validation bit, then with writing on top saying read the rules then click ok at the bottom once read if you brake them you will get banned for however long, depending on someone trying to sell something or ctin lk dis.

why not if they cant be bothered to read and stick to the rules whats the point in letting them post.

Them? You are a Pre-Member. And you spell like one too.

Well ok, your spelling is good. But you used almost no punctuation.

Any more ideas?

I've come across a good one on the DVinfo forum where you register and then have to wait a few weeks till your account is activated manually by a mod. Not saying it should take as long here, maybe a couple of days throughout which the pre-member would receive one or two emails with the rules.

Well ok, your spelling is good. But you used almost no punctuation.

Fair enough, I'm useless at punctuation thats the best i can do, but correct me if im wrong I didnt see you have to use correct punctuation in posts just not text talk.

Fair enough, I'm useless at punctuation thats the best i can do, but correct me if im wrong I didnt see you have to use correct punctuation in posts just not text talk.

Nope, you saw:

Try to use good grammatical English.

If you read the rules, but fair enough, I don't remember every rule in the book.

Your both right, and to be fair Trix seems to post alot better than most pre members do.

True, just work on the punctuation and you will get validated in no time.

It just seems to me that your posts run as one long sentence, try to use shorter ones to break the information up and make it more readable.

this is all well and good but for us dislexic people we find it hard to do this. my dislexia is not with spelling but with sentence order and punctuation i am 21 and failed my gcse english language because of my punctuation but i passed my gcse english literature so although i try to help as best i can and post with relevent topics and replys does this mean i will never get validated?

i would not have thought so mate! i mean i am in no place to be telling you all what to do but i would not have thought that the way you structure and present your sentances would effect the validation prosses at all, i also have the same view on punctuation. as long as the content of what you are saying is ok and you are not using any abreviations in the post i dont see the problem. I very rarely use punctuation in my scentances as well as many other members and i dont think this is that much of a problem.

I have very good English skills, and I'm still not validated after 3 months of using this forum so I wouldnt worry about it.

To me, it seems a lot of people are on their high horses on this forum.

There's only a few people in a position to validate anybody and they all (presumably) have lives outside the forum. If you don't behave like an arse and you make a positive contribution somebody will notice and validate you eventually. If you whine and bitch about not being validated (not directed at you specifically) you'll just piss them off and they'll keep you in pre-member hell.

Oh yeah...

The spelling thing has been blown out of all proportion - mostly cos it's bandied around as the surefire solution to validation by people who aren't validated yet (cos obviously they're in the best position to dole out advice on validation :blink: ).

It's not an english exam, it's a forum. If you type unreadable shite people won't understand it and it won't help your case for validation but you're not going to get overlooked because of a few typos or missing out the capital letter (for anyone who did their GCSEs later than 1996 that means "big letter") at the beginning of an otherwise perfectly formed sentence.

it's all in Mike's thread anyway, I'm just waiting for the kettle to boil so ive got nothing better to do than vent some steam.