Uni Day Release/qualification Requirements

TomR

Right, I work in civil engineering and for obvious reasons want to get qualified.

Courses usually state 'Minimum of three grade C's at A2 or equivilent' but what if you don't have that?

I've got average GCSE's and an NVQ level 2 in engineering but i don't think that counts for as much as A-levels, so can anyone who is or has been in a similar situation clarify things a bit.

I'm probably looking at doing a HND or BSc at Westmister, seems about the only nearby place doing construction engineering courses. Would it be worth contacting them direct?

Right, I work in civil engineering and for obvious reasons want to get qualified.

Courses usually state 'Minimum of three grade C's at A2 or equivilent' but what if you don't have that?

I've got average GCSE's and an NVQ level 2 in engineering but i don't think that counts for as much as A-levels, so can anyone who is or has been in a similar situation clarify things a bit.

I'm probably looking at doing a HND or BSc at Westmister, seems about the only nearby place doing construction engineering courses. Would it be worth contacting them direct?

Those guidelines are primarily aimed at students coming straight out of college/sixth form. If your going in as (non offence) a mature student, they'll want an interview with you and they'll check the grades you have got and your attitude etc. Most mature students are accepted as they actually want to learn, rather than just trying to apply so they have a course while they get pissed up with friends in halls. Best bet is to ring the uni up and ask them directly, ask to speak to a course leader or even better to make an appointment to go and see them and you'll be well on your way into getting on to learning.

Ah brilliant. I've seen plenty of people get day release and thought 'hmm, they never seemed to get turned away on qualifications'.

I see where you're coming from, i suppose from an interview they can judge if you're remotely competent and willing (and to be fair, if its your day job then you probably are!) not ot mention if they get your fee's they probably won't care less :lol:

Cheers.