Xbox Modding

charlie >est<

Yeah, I've got an xecuter 2.6 which does me fine. Although I think next time I'll probably softmod and save the money. I've just (today) got a new switch bank since I lost the old one which meant the chip was permanently off. I used to have a 120Gb hard drive and that was schweet, but that xbox got stolen and the new one is only the standard 10Gb one.

I'm not quite sure why you would want neons or anything like that (The LED light in the chip annoys me enough), but never mind, each to their own.

Anyway, XBMC > *

Connected to my PC = 130 Gb of Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park etc and loads of films. Rock on.

I just bought a remote for it too (paid £6 :) ), which makes the whole thing a lot easier.

Yeah, I've got an xecuter 2.6 which does me fine. Although I think next time I'll probably softmod and save the money. I've just (today) got a new switch bank since I lost the old one which meant the chip was permanently off. I used to have a 120Gb hard drive and that was schweet, but that xbox got stolen and the new one is only the standard 10Gb one.

I'm not quite sure why you would want neons or anything like that (The LED light in the chip annoys me enough), but never mind, each to their own.

Anyway, XBMC > *

Connected to my PC = 130 Gb of Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park etc and loads of films. Rock on.

I just bought a remote for it too (paid £6 :) ), which makes the whole thing a lot easier.

Pretty much the same as mine... only i spray painted the top bit silver and planned to do the front panel too so it matched the tv/dvd player a bit more.

XBMC and you'll never need anything else.

Well there's basically the cosmetic stuff (lights, crystal case etc) which is fairly self explanatory, or the modchips.

Mod chips start at about £20 and you install them yourself - you have to be pretty damn good at soldering though. Or you can 'softmod' where you use certain games and hack into the xbox, then install the new software over the old stuff. This is cheaper, and doesn't require opening the xbox case or soldering, but it's not reversible and you can run into trouble if it messes up.

Check out this shop for all your modchip needs: http://kanection.co.uk/

And this website for all the instructions etc: http://xbox-scene.com/

Performance gains, you don't really get any. You *can* upgrade certain things like the CPU but it makes very little difference in games. However, if it's chipped you can run games off the hard drive, which means they load a LOT faster.

It's not about the performance gains though - it's about what you can do with it. I already mention XBMC (which is the best thing ever) but there's loads of other stuff like SNES/Megadrive etc emulators. And of course being able to copy games. That's bad though.

ahhhh fair enough. i'll probably leave mine alone then, as i get really bored of the old emulators even though they are very cool and bring back good memories i probably would play them for about 5mins and get rid of it lol.

Theres not realy a performance benifit. I do it to mod the halo .maps :D funny as hell. Also ripping games is good. Rent then, rip them, return them. :D Guess who is currently building a site that sells modded xbox's?.... you guessed it... me. you can post to me and i'll fit a mod chip for you (if bought from me)EDIT: What is cool is: if you know what your doing you can remove the adverts from the start of a game. Also running OSX and uBuntu is cool.There is a way for double the amount of ram. (around 150 tiny pins to solder per chip. there is 2 chips :)

Mod chips start at about £20 and you install them yourself - you have to be pretty damn good at soldering though. Or you can 'softmod' where you use certain games and hack into the xbox, then install the new software over the old stuff. This is cheaper, and doesn't require opening the xbox case or soldering, but it's not reversible and you can run into trouble if it messes up.
The only way to mess it up is to delete something. which would be idiotic. plus... you can 'unmod' your xbox after being softmodded. :)I have messed up lots of xbox's thats how you learn, hey? If you mess up on a softmod, this can be fixed with a modchip. if you mess up on soldering this means, new xbox :D i reccomend starting with a softmod or get a mod chip installed :) Edited by charlie >est<

Theres not realy a performance benifit. I do it to mod the halo .maps :D funny as hell. Also ripping games is good. Rent then, rip them, return them. :D Guess who is currently building a site that sells modded xbox's?.... you guessed it... me. you can post to me and i'll fit a mod chip for you (if bought from me)EDIT: What is cool is: if you know what your doing you can remove the adverts from the start of a game. Also running OSX and uBuntu is cool.There is a way for double the amount of ram. (around 150 tiny pins to solder per chip. there is 2 chips :)The only way to mess it up is to delete something. which would be idiotic. plus... you can 'unmod' your xbox after being softmodded. :)I have messed up lots of xbox's thats how you learn, hey? If you mess up on a softmod, this can be fixed with a modchip. if you mess up on soldering this means, new xbox :D i reccomend starting with a softmod or get a mod chip installed :)

I really do fail to see how you mess up a softmod. You stick the game in do the softmod and then fiddle with it later... maybe deleting something.

I've had the "call customer service because your xbox is f*****" screen loads of times when i was starting to fiddle with it and all you do is open the drive, whack the game in... switch it off, switch it on and load on the softmod again. Then your back where you started.

The hardest thign for me was trying to get xbmc to open as the default dash. Didn't take too long to work it out though and i am so pleased i have.

I've had the "call customer service because your xbox is f*****" screen loads of times when i was starting to fiddle with it and all you do is open the drive, whack the game in... switch it off, switch it on and load on the softmod again. Then your back where you started.

Depends what you do wrong. If you corrupt the MS Dash.xbe you are screwed. no loading Splinter cell, 007, Mechassult... or anyother games. Also, try unlocking (NO DONT LOL) your Hard drive. the onlyto get your xbox back working again is to boot from a disc on a mod chip and lock the hard drive :) I think owning a Hard modded xbox is easier than a soft modded xbox. but softmodding is easier to perform.

There is plenty of ways to completely screw your xbox up.

Depends what you do wrong. If you corrupt the MS Dash.xbe you are screwed. no loading Splinter cell, 007, Mechassult... or anyother games. Also, try unlocking (NO DONT LOL) your Hard drive. the onlyto get your xbox back working again is to boot from a disc on a mod chip and lock the hard drive :) I think owning a Hard modded xbox is easier than a soft modded xbox. but softmodding is easier to perform.

There is plenty of ways to completely screw your xbox up.

You can re-lock it with your computer somehow, something weird with hotswapping them over. ;)

You also back up your hard drive for a reason ;) If it goes tits up, whack it in the pc, put the files on again and your MSdash.xbe is all good and dandy again. Theres ways round everything.

You can re-lock it with your computer somehow, something weird with hotswapping them over. ;)You also back up your hard drive for a reason ;) If it goes tits up, whack it in the pc, put the files on again and your MSdash.xbe is all good and dandy again. Theres ways round everything.
The Pc is locked to the Xbox motherboard. There is no way of ever using one in a pc. trust me I have tried. :DYeah, Always make backups, on your xbox and your PC. Your softmod installer should make a backup folder in one of the partitions just copy that over FTP.

They use a different file system so you can't just stick your hard drive in a PC, which is annoying.

Also, if the mod dies and your xbox is dead then there is no way of FTPing... Anyway, this is boring talk.

Charlie do you have endless amounts of money?? You seem to have a lot of toys to play with.

Personally I do not mod my xbox's or any games consoles as I cant afford to replace them if they are broken. More to the point, if it isnt broken dont fix it :P

What exactly do you gain from modding an xbox other than free games, which helps destroy the industry?

I admit I used to download games on the PC, Films and Music, but I have now virtually stopped, I just get the odd tv show now and then and the occasional film, started going to the cinema more :P

EDIT: Read your post above and what exactly is the point in running uBuntu and OSX on an Xbox, I dont realyl see any advantage. Also with adding more ram, the games were designed to run on specific hardware settings, it more than likely wont address the extra memory.

Good luck with the site though, I cant see it being huge as there are many places around that will mod an xbox or just pop down a market and buy one but good luck (Y).

Edited by Team War Rider

Yes, but you are ignoring XBMC. I never play illegal games on my XBOX. In fact I hardly ever play any games, and since most games are like £7 now from Gamestation, I don't mind paying in any case. But it's all about XBMC ;)

It allows you to stream media (videos, music etc) from a PC, direct to your xbox via a network. Admittedly, if you had a PC in your living room with the appropriate connectors and Windows Media Centre, it would do much the same thing. But xboxes are MUCH cheaper than most PCs, and quieter, smaller etc.

It allows you to stream media (videos, music etc) from a PC, direct to your xbox via a network. Admittedly, if you had a PC in your living room with the appropriate connectors and Windows Media Centre, it would do much the same thing. But xboxes are MUCH cheaper than most PCs, and quieter, smaller etc.

I think just having it as a divx player boosts its usage up a shed load for me. I mean, it doesn't take ages to encode a movie to a dvd but putting a movie on a disc as a divx file is a heck of a lot easier. Its also nice playing riding videos on the telly in much better clarity than on the pc screen, the upscaling on the xbox makes even poor bitrate riding videos much clearer to watch, which i absolutely love.

My friend formatted a new hard drive he bought for his xbox and through the use of hotswapping and some weird xbox program thing he managed to format it so the xbox recognizes it, then transfer over the files for his dashboards and XBMC. I don't understand how he did it at all, but he went from having a softmodded xbox to having a softmodded xbox with a new, bigger hard drive.

The only reason it looks better is because your downgrading the resolution.

Watching a film that is 720 x 576 (btw thats standward pal widescreen) on a 19" widescreen pc monitor will look pretty poo. You put it onto a tv and it looks fab because its the right size to fit.

Watch the same film on an hdtv using a normal xbox with standard defition and it will looks pants.

Hope that made enough sense lol.

I have no need I have a 32" tv in my room with 360 and pc connected to it. I can see your point though, kinda useful I guess.

The only reason it looks better is because your downgrading the resolution.

Watching a film that is 720 x 576 (btw thats standward pal widescreen) on a 19" widescreen pc monitor will look pretty poo. You put it onto a tv and it looks fab because its the right size to fit.

Watch the same film on an hdtv using a normal xbox with standard defition and it will looks pants.

Hope that made enough sense lol.

I have no need I have a 32" tv in my room with 360 and pc connected to it. I can see your point though, kinda useful I guess.

Yeah, i know why it looks better ;)

Charlie do you have endless amounts of money?? You seem to have a lot of toys to play with.

Personally I do not mod my xbox's or any games consoles as I cant afford to replace them if they are broken. More to the point, if it isnt broken dont fix it :P

What exactly do you gain from modding an xbox other than free games, which helps destroy the industry?

I admit I used to download games on the PC, Films and Music, but I have now virtually stopped, I just get the odd tv show now and then and the occasional film, started going to the cinema more :P

EDIT: Read your post above and what exactly is the point in running uBuntu and OSX on an Xbox, I dont realyl see any advantage. Also with adding more ram, the games were designed to run on specific hardware settings, it more than likely wont address the extra memory.

Good luck with the site though, I cant see it being huge as there are many places around that will mod an xbox or just pop down a market and buy one but good luck (Y).

No I do not have endless amounts of money. Thats why I have a broken Onza Hub :D

When modding the main advantage is to copy games.I know adding more ram, just speeds up things like start up etc :D

Also having a 9000RPM+ HD will make your games load quicker.

You can also run a dashboard called: Evox this lets you run things called trainers that for example change the view on halo from 1st person to 3rd person. etc.

We're talking about the original xbox.

I can't quite work out what you were trying to say though. You can get HD-DVD drives for the Xbox 360, yes.

I mean can you put a hd dvd drive inside the xbox instear of the shitty inside in i originally.

• 10 months later...
Theres not realy a performance benifit. I do it to mod the halo .maps :D funny as hell. Also ripping games is good. Rent then, rip them, return them. :D Guess who is currently building a site that sells modded xbox's?.... you guessed it... me. you can post to me and i'll fit a mod chip for you (if bought from me)EDIT: What is cool is: if you know what your doing you can remove the adverts from the start of a game. Also running OSX and uBuntu is cool.There is a way for double the amount of ram. (around 150 tiny pins to solder per chip. there is 2 chips :)The only way to mess it up is to delete something. which would be idiotic. plus... you can 'unmod' your xbox after being softmodded. <ahttp://www.trials-forum.co.uk/uploads/smile.png' alt=':)'>I have messed up lots of xbox's thats how you learn, hey? If you mess up on a softmod, this can be fixed with a modchip. if you mess up on soldering this means, new xbox :D i reccomend starting with a softmod or get a mod chip installed :)

haha :) im not trusting you

Edited by spookylukey