Gears!

JohnyMilton

Hello people!

I have decided Im going to use gears on my trials bike, but I dont know what mech to use, what I mean is what size of cage short or long. So who ever runs gears what cage do you use. Im kinding of thinking of a short cage, for more clearance but I dont know if its a good thing. I use a long cage on my freeride bike, because the gears will work faster, but Im not sure if I need more clearance or fast reacting gears.

Someone please help! lol

Johny!

Road mechs are optimal for trials bikes.

I used a Shimano Tiagra. It was OK. Some people used Dura Ace mechs some years back. Expensive but pretty and light.

So yeah, short cage road mechs are great. The cassette cogs are so small, and in combination with only using a single small sprocket up front, you can get away with a short cage mech. You can lock it out too by removing the spring around the bolt that mounts it on the derailleur hanger, which prevents the mech from banging on the frame, while still shifting gears well.

Removing the spring on a Tiagra mech (probably very similar to all other ones) is done by first removing the C-clip on the back of the main bolt (the one that mounts the mech to the hanger). then remove the spring washer thingy, and then remove the spring. Bolt the mech to the hanger with the spring washer thingy on, but not the C-clip. Voila.

Road mechs are optimal for trials bikes.

I used a Shimano Tiagra. It was OK. Some people used Dura Ace mechs some years back. Expensive but pretty and light.

So yeah, short cage road mechs are great. The cassette cogs are so small, and in combination with only using a single small sprocket up front, you can get away with a short cage mech. You can lock it out too by removing the spring around the bolt that mounts it on the derailleur hanger, which prevents the mech from banging on the frame, while still shifting gears well.

Cheers, for that fast comment! lol

Cheers guys, Last night I found a cheap Sram X.0 on ebay, so that should be on its way.

But im struggling for a cassette is it worth getting the Echo cassette on Tarty?

Johny!

Sram x.o :o you joking ?

180 quids worth of mech ?

and your prepared to smash it lol ?

you also need to get the sram shifters, x7 or x.9 also work!

but since u got a x.o mech ur gear changed will be awsome :o

very lucky !