Magura's Are They Worth It?

Cooper

Ive been looking to buy a magura and i was wondering if it is worth the trouble of setting it up and all the matenience on the brake?

Or would you just advise me to save a little more money up and buy a disk?

Thanks in advance

Cheers Cooper

YES! Magura's *** (Hs33). When you get a little better you may want a disc on the front but Magura on the back all the way ;)

~Matty

Yes i already have a disk on the front but have a vee on the back but im changing frames to a monty 221 ti and i just wondering which one thanks for the replys.

i would also like some more opinions thanks

Cooper

Yeah HS33s are great. They take a few minutes of effort to set up well but it's not too hard and worth it. Make sure you do it properly. They don't need a lot of maintenance. I've been pretty lucky with mine, in the last 3 years I've done nothing to them except swap them over to my new frame(s).

That's not to say that Vs and discs can't be at least as good though. A good V is just as good as a maggie (as opposed to a rubbish V). Personally I don't like discs because I bash the rotors but the general concensus is that they're great especially on the front.

If you search there are loads of topics along the lines of: Q) which type of brake is better? A) They can all be great.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with a decently set up vee and some good pads, i ran an avid on my coust and it work really well. Considering the frame was set for maguras i picked up some maggie to vee mounts and did it that way, it ran ace so wouldnt rule out the vee option (Y)

I would say that they are. I've moved on from V's and I can definitley tell the difference. The power and bite has improved so much!

After using various Discs and V's I can say I've never used a better brake than when I was running Front & Rear HS33's!

Go for it mate.

you used the wrong pads then.

vees have better hold, and if set up with the right pads you can get it bitey too.

im using green rock pads on a light grind, and its really loud, amazing hold and amazing bite.

if vee's are set up with the right pads it will be more powerfull than any maggie.

Edited by willy wonka

you used the wrong pads then.

vees have better hold, and if set up with the right pads you can get it bitey too.

im using green rock pads on a light grind, and its really loud, amazing hold and amazing bite.

if vee's are set up with the right pads it will be more powerfull than any maggie.

No not at all, Hydraulics have more bite than cable - they respond better.

I would like to bet that a cable avid & an HS33 with the same pads put to the test would show the HS33 to be quicker responding and quicker to release than the avid (Or possibly any cable V brake!)

No not at all, Hydraulics have more bite than cable - they respond better.

I would like to bet that a cable avid & an HS33 with the same pads put to the test would show the HS33 to be quicker responding and quicker to release than the avid (Or possibly any cable V brake!)

i didnt say vee's definitly have more bite.

they have more hold. but mine seems to have more bite than my maggie (cnc backings with phat pads).

and my vee is pretty damn responsive.

if you are getting a ti then deffinately go rear disk. i ride a 221pr and just put a mono trial on the rear and it feels so much different, a hell of alot smoother and has a slight pregressive feel, so you dont skid everytime you put the brake on whilst riding normally. the only bad thing about it is the fact that if you dont quite make a tap etc then it is unforgiving in the way that it seems to slip backwards quite alot, but i can blame that on the fact that it hasnt bed in yet. hope i helped (Y)

Dual disk is best, what bike have you got? If it doesn't already have a maggy you probably won't be able to fit a rear disc.

He said he is changing frames to a 221 ti .

I would go for a maggie but i dont really like discs anyway, Too quiet :ermm:

mike

hi everyone i have a noob question: ive been contemplating getting a hs33 on the back of my phase 1.3 as it currently has a v type but it only has 2 holes and not 4 ive tried googling it but just wondered if anyone knows if you can get an adapter or anything to put a maggie on a frame with only two holes?

mike