Bike Creaking? Help!

Sam O

Hi, just recently when I put the front brake on to stop and endo and all that, the bike creaks loads at the front end. I've tightened the headset and all of the brake, handlebars etc... but the creaking continues. I was wondering if anyone knows what the creaking could be and how to stop it.

Thanks Sam

I had a creak on a brand new set of echo bars (and the old style stem), solved that by cutting a piece of paper so it would just wrap once round the bars. How old are the bars and what are they?

Grease everything from the steerer tube to the bolts and bar clamps etc. I had this problem before applied some grease and problem solved.

Not sure why it does this, guess is trying to move slightly when it cant due to it being dry so apply some grease and its allowed that very slight amount of movement.

Check that your headset cups are slightly lubed or greased and check for a flared headtube - my headtube on my zona is flared and was creaking for ages. I thought it was my front brake but on closer inspection, it was my headset cups moving and creaking within the tube. So.. to stop this I simply wrapped a thin layer of tape around my headset cups and re-inserted it back into the frame, and now my bike is silent (apart from the freewheel and brakes) Just worth a look as it could solve your problem (Y)