Long Or Short

J Trials 31

Hey I was just wondering if I should get a long or short bike when I get a new one. I am 5'7 and I am 14 so I am still growing. (Whoah didn't notice I said "I am" so much!) I have ridden an Echo Team long and it felt pretty good. I have also ridden a Koxx Benito Ros Replica long and I couldn't even ride the thing, even though that was a year ago. My main problem is my current mod bike is a put together thing. It's what I call a "Mongoose Trials Special". It's not even a Mongoose though. It just has Mongoose stickers. I don't even know what the frame is. Well anyway, it hurts my back when I ride it. I measured the wheelbase and it is 1016 mm. So what should it be, Long or short?

get a short bike.. i have a really long mod, the only thing it's really good for is side hopping.

not to shabby for gapping either, but i find backwheeling alot harder! id try for somthing kind of medium, around the 1020-1025 mark? then you get the best of both-ish. im only guessing never really riden a medium length bike. But i plan on my next frame being around that kind of length!

Edited by tom132

Echo lite?

1005 and 1025, go for the longer one.

Only £229 aswell!

That actually looks more like the lengths of the Gu Typhoon. I might get one of those. You don't actually have to post the price as it's not right cause I live in the U.S. But the Echo lite is cool only problem is in my country the one dealer who has those doesn't make a complete bike in those. I'll have to ask somebody there. Would a bike size 1030 be okay?

Edited by J Trials 31

I'm 5'10", my Zona Zip was 1060 with Onza Shite Guy forks, I got Echo Lites and the WB is now 1040mm. Still too long though, so I am going to a shorter frame soon.

I didn't even know they made mod frames that long! Dang, 1060 mm that is long! I couldn't even imagine riding a bike that long.

I didn't even know they made mod frames that long! Dang, 1060 mm that is long! I couldn't even imagine riding a bike that long.

It was fine but the front wheel was too far out front. The forks were too long as well which was messing with the geo. It's about as long as you can get with standard bits I think as the back wheel won't go any further back without the maggy cylinders getting pointed downwards.I could go longer if it got double disk'ed with a floating mount. But that would just be silly.

I'm going for an Echo lite short now, I will update this thread on how it rides when it is built up. Nice I hope.

My mates koxx is almost exactly the same geo but his bb is higher. Far too high for me, and the wheelbase is 5mm shorter.

Here are my favourite frames for each length catgory:

Super Short: My brothers Onza T-Lite with Echo Lite forks, 985mm as I measured it.

Short: My mates Koxx XTP 07. The bb is too high for me but the legnth is OK. 1000mm according to trialsman.

Medium: Echo Lite. I havn't ridden one, but I have bought the short version. However, the "long" version of this isn't long in my opinion at 1025mm.

Long: My Zona Zip with Echo Lite forks. Rides like a dream, but I want to get into natural and it is too long for that sort of stuff. 1045 the other day.

Super Long: My Zona again, but with Onza forks. It had a higher bb and a shorter wheelbase than with my new Echo forks, so it used to get up walls better. 1065 at one point but the maggy cylinders were angled slightly down and the pads were just about to scrape the tyre. So I ran it with a slack chain.

Thanks the bikes I will look at now are the Echo Lite, Echo Team, Gu Typhoon, Adamant A3, and the Monty 221 PR. Does anybody see a problem with me and the length of the Monty? It's measured at 1010 mm.

Monty's are horrid. well I'm told the TIs are much nicer than the PR, but when I rode a PR I didn't think it was all that good.

Echo Lite short ***, I hope, having just bought one.

Monty's are horrid. well I'm told the TIs are much nicer than the PR, but when I rode a PR I didn't think it was all that good.

Echo Lite short ***, I hope, having just bought one.

I rode an 06' 221 TI and thought it was the best bike ever. I am pretty sure the geometry of the PR is the same as the TI so the only difference would be the brakes.

post-15159-1187111931_thumb.jpg

post-15159-1187111955_thumb.jpg

The 07 PR frame is actually the same frame as the 06 TI.

Lies. Those Ti frames and PR frames have distinct differances, the top tube, headtube, downtube interface is differant, the bikes are made from differant material too. Hence the price tag on the Ti. There is also a slight differance in geometry, something in the region of one or two mm or one degree here or there somewhere.

a Monty 221pr with standard geometery forks(echo lite/zona/koxx) should come out at 1000mm, that or my frame is shorter than all the other ones.....

Remember that it's the distance from Bottom Bracket to bar's that affect's the feel of the bike more than it's length (to a degree)

Lies. Those Ti frames and PR frames have distinct differances, the top tube, headtube, downtube interface is differant, the bikes are made from differant material too. Hence the price tag on the Ti. There is also a slight differance in geometry, something in the region of one or two mm or one degree here or there somewhere.

a Monty 221pr with standard geometery forks(echo lite/zona/koxx) should come out at 1000mm, that or my frame is shorter than all the other ones.....

Remember that it's the distance from Bottom Bracket to bar's that affect's the feel of the bike more than it's length (to a degree)

Oh OK, My mate's PR was horrid to me, and he said that it was the same frame as an 06 TI.

He probably just meant the geometry anyway.