Magura Pads In Cnc Backings?

D a n n y. . .

I bought some new plazmatic pads, and wanted to put them into my CNC backings, but im really struggling to get the outta the magura backing, Iv tried the oven at various heats and times, and also the microwave, but they dont seem to be budging :(

The brand new pads are pretty nackered now, so any help on how to get them out would be much appreciated!!

Thanks, danny

heh heh, yeah, do that :rolleyes:

boiling water always does the trick for me.

This might sound a little dumb..... but when you say boiling water, what EXACTLY do you do?

Removing some blue Rock Pads, I boiled a kettle, bunged the pads in an empty milk bottle, and then three quarters filled it with the boiling water from the kettle. Left it in there for a short while, and then pulled them out quick and tried to pull apart using two pairs of mole-grips - didn't work!

Tried a few times as well but I ended up snapping the pad material!

Stick the pads in the oven... 150 degrees'ish and leave them in there for a few minutes. Take them out using pliers and see if you can hold the backing with one pair of pliers while pulling the material out with a different set. If it doesn't come out stick them back in the over for another couple of minutes and try again. Repeat until the material comes out.

You obviously didn't try hard enough with the oven.

This might sound a little dumb..... but when you say boiling water, what EXACTLY do you do?

Removing some blue Rock Pads, I boiled a kettle, bunged the pads in an empty milk bottle, and then three quarters filled it with the boiling water from the kettle. Left it in there for a short while, and then pulled them out quick and tried to pull apart using two pairs of mole-grips - didn't work!

Tried a few times as well but I ended up snapping the pad material!

get a pan, put water in, put pad in, put on cooker and let it boil for a few mins....never failed with me.

Back in 2004 I used to boil up saucepans full of old pads which were traded in in exchange for the first pads I was making.

It was a question of leaving them boil on the hob for 5-10 mins, and many would peel out the backings easily although certain makes would always be stubborn after this so it wasn't plan sailing. Even after boiling them for longer, some pads wouldn't peel cleanly out the backings and left bits stuck in that I needed to spend longer cutting away with a stanley knife so the backings could be recycled (which was my need then before new backings were obtainable)

I tried the "Pop them in the oven" idea recently with these same stubborn pads which had proven labour intensive to remove using the boiling method, and they just lifted out the backings afterwards. So the extra 50 degrees made the difference from partially weakening the glue to totally negating it's adhesion.

More pad fitting info and photos here:

HSB Pad fitting guide

Steve