Can Someone Explain Something To Me

MetalheadA7X

That sounds like a good idea but doesn't it ruin the aesthetics of your rim by taking an axle grinder to it?

Also, what do you mean by using tar on your pads, is it like tar used on your pads or something to do with the pad compound.

I don't really know much about trials as i am almost a complete newbie and on my old steed which sadly got stolen a few weeks back i could barely do anything notable. I only used it when i wanted a quick look out hopping about curbs. It was an Onza T-pro 2000 model so it had V's, but my new bike will have maggies when it arrives so i need to know abit more about how to use them to thier best.

Thanks alot ash

Chris

Edited by MetalheadA7X

OK well tar you can put on your rim and it helps but a grind will be longer lasting.

If you do a harsh grind or medium Koxx Bloxx Browns pads are what id recommend but on a light grind maybe Koxx Bloxx reds.

If your brake doesn't slip and is OK for your level then you can leave it but if you start doing bigger stuff and don't feel confident with your brake i recommend upgrading pads and if still put a light grind on.

Ash~ ^_^

Yea basically as said its like a brake will grip a lot better to sandpaper than a peice of metal... so you skimm an ANGLE not AXEL grinder across it just to rough up the surface. Rims nowadays can usually handle 10+ grinds depending on how deep into the rim you go! My brake didnt work at all yesterday, so today took off the rim gave it a hard grind and now the brake works scarily good again! You must get specially designed harder compound brakes though, look on tarty and where the pad is reviewed it will say weather it is ment to be run on a grinded / ungrinded rim. If you use very soft compound pads like Zoo!'s on a grind there wear rate will be stupidly fast. But for something like Koxx bloxx the wear rate is fine!

My Heatsink red pads in CNC'ed backings have been run for over a year now on a grind and almost all the material is left on them! you really have to experiment with pads and see what suits you personally, some people like grabby brakes a prefer to have a little bit of slip in my brake for manuals and things!

But awsome posting skills man! your english and punctuation is really good! hopefully you'll becombe a new member really quickly!!! :)

Yea basically as said its like a brake will grip a lot better to sandpaper than a peice of metal... so you skimm an ANGLE not AXEL grinder across it just to rough up the surface. Rims nowadays can usually handle 10+ grinds depending on how deep into the rim you go! My brake didnt work at all yesterday, so today took off the rim gave it a hard grind and now the brake works scarily good again! You must get specially designed harder compound brakes though, look on tarty and where the pad is reviewed it will say weather it is ment to be run on a grinded / ungrinded rim. If you use very soft compound pads like Zoo!'s on a grind there wear rate will be stupidly fast. But for something like Koxx bloxx the wear rate is fine!

My Heatsink red pads in CNC'ed backings have been run for over a year now on a grind and almost all the material is left on them! you really have to experiment with pads and see what suits you personally, some people like grabby brakes a prefer to have a little bit of slip in my brake for manuals and things!

But awsome posting skills man! your english and punctuation is really good! hopefully you'll becombe a new member really quickly!!! :)

Cheers simpson, do you still have your gu that you brought off of dan and sorry for going off topic.

Dont bother with a grind, just get some good pads on a smooth rim. if your brake is set up well it should be just as good. and your pads will last longer

Vee

Im not an expert as Iv only been riding 5 or 6 months and my boyfriend built my bike as a present. But surely it depends on what pads you have?

I have a smooth rim for my back break, which I find fine but as I get better It will probably be sensible to change breaks as it sometimes slips if anyone(not me!(yet)) does anything complex on it.

Amy

Im not an expert as Iv only been riding 5 or 6 months and my boyfriend built my bike as a present. But surely it depends on what pads you have?

yeah, amy uses zoo! pads on a smooth rim which are incredible in the dry but the slightest bit of moisture and then she has no braking whatsoever! I use rimjam blues on a harsh grind and they seem reasonable all rounders

Cheers simpson, do you still have your gu that you brought off of dan and sorry for going off topic.

I do indeediely-deedly-doo!!! gettin Jacks KO soon though :P

Im not an expert as Iv only been riding 5 or 6 months

You seem to know enough for me! Grinds are usually esential on a rear brake... i mean some people dont... but i definatly always would

I think it's been explained now but grinding increases the friction of your brake because you get a rougher surface.

So yes it can give you a more powerful brake.

I don't think it's necessary though, and the same with tar. Tar tends to ruin modulation, so you will be able to lock the wheel but not let it slide in a controlled way. Sounds horrible too...

Grinds will wear down pads faster as somebody said, and obviously your rims won't be as strong after several grinds as you're taking material off.

Smooth rims can give you a plenty good enough brake, whether it's a V or hydraulic, as long as they are well set up, with good pads, no dirt on the rims, and a booster if necessary.

p.s. If in doubt, squeeze the lever harder...

Edited by Tommy d

The single best think for any braking system is the setup. If you have a good platform to build upon, then everything after is positive. Over here me and my buddies actually do hash marks all the way accross the rim. Much like the image below, but all the way around the rim.

/////////

I have grinded, used tar, used pine tar, use simple green, used vinegar, and all that stuff.

I like having a perfect setup, Plazmatic CRM pads, and small hash marks on my rim. This combo makes for a quieter* setup and very efficient. Pads last longer, and when you go riding its a little bit more discrete.