The Computer Guy Needs Help!

MadManMike

Right,

Built a PC (As I've done loads...)

Now, I can get to here through task manager but I can't get a Start menu or my desktop. I get a black background and that's it.

Ctrl Alt & Del lets me launch Firefox but nothing else.

Any ideas?

Edited by MadManMike

It's new built, need the stuff on the HD mate.

I basically got a half made PC, added the hard drive and new PSU to it. All the bits are compatible, it's not an old motherboard or anything...

It's weird... Oh and the explorer.exe doesn't work by the way.

Your supposed to reinstall windows on a new build ;)

I'd imagine somewhere on your hard drive the drivers and settings for the old comp are still trying to work and its causing this problem.

Even if you just replace the motherboard, let alone a full build... you need to re-install windows as it'll need the new motherboard drivers and shizzwhack and not the old ones.

Restart into safe mode. I can't be arsed to go into detail after that becasue that might not even work. But basically then scan for new hardware and take it from there.

If that doesn't work backup your stuff and re-format. You could even just grab a copy of partition magic and backup to another partition for now. Or install windows to the second partition and transfer the stuff over then delete the other. You could do the partition juggling with a linux live cd if you have one lying around?

The end is not nigh, don't worry!

And what happens when you type 'explorer.exe' in the run box? nothing?

try 'sysdm.cpl' and see what's amock with the device manager from there if it works.

Could do with more information on what happens when you do stuff? The limited stuff you can do, that is.

I can run everything from Task Man, except windows (ie, My Docs, C: etc) I can't run Explorer.exe. basically I've just been playing around in Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Firefox no problems, but I have no Start bar, or desktop.

Just tried what you said, It brings up the system settings but the Device Manager doesn't load when you click the button.

Looking online it seems there is no way to fix it, just get everything I need on to USB stick and re-install. Which would be ok if I hadn't broken my Windows disc :S

Oddly enough this is why I run multiple HDs as I frequently break windows when messing around with it.

On my new build thought I used an old HD and it booted to windows fine with COMPLETELY differrent components, complained about it needing re-activating due to a massive change in hardware but it worked none the less.

As Kris said, with major upgrades such as motherboards its best to re-install windows. Sounds like windows is corrupt, if none of the windows components themselves are loading.

Just re-read your post. So long as you have the serial for windows you can download a copy off the internet and it will work fine.

This is one time when piracy is fantastic. Get a friend to download the same version of windows you had and create a disc for you. Enter your legit cd-key that came with the original windows disc and problem solved.

Edited by Team War Rider

I've tried loads of things, but I can Run a new task, click Browse and then go to locations and right click files > send to Removable Disc E or whatever... it's slow but it's the best way I think.

Yeah cmd works, but there's not much I can do with it - looking up my problem looks like I need to re-install.

Just a pain in the ass lol