Deraileurs

sobek

hi there

im new to this site and also slightly new to trial biking.

ok...i live in china and the bikes out here are cheap..i have a 20" zhi and a 26" of no brand.

id like to buy a zhi z1 frame for the 26" bike but im wondering if its possible to run the bike without a deraileur or chain tensioner as i have moved to a new city and have found no bike shops yet which sell trial bike parts.

any help appriciated

hi there

im new to this site and also slightly new to trial biking.

ok...i live in china and the bikes out here are cheap..i have a 20" zhi and a 26" of no brand.

id like to buy a zhi z1 frame for the 26" bike but im wondering if its possible to run the bike without a deraileur or chain tensioner as i have moved to a new city and have found no bike shops yet which sell trial bike parts.

any help appriciated

I think it shoud run sweet without gears most trials bikes i found run better without gears!, Your more than likely to have a chain tensioner for single speed? Look on www.tartybikes.co.uk there top for parts and them send to you were ever you are :rolleyes: . If you change to single speed there less for you to repair when/if it brakes.

hello welcome to the forum,i think it should be OK to run single speed with out anything special i have done it many times. you may need a single speed chain though and will u be used a multi speed cassette or a single speed one? if you are using multi it may slip into the gear that the chain length is right for i set one up for forth gear an slipped into fifth (I'm guessing this is because of the chain being to tight) but it should run ok as long as not to much slack

Edited by billyboi

Its luck really whether you can run a tensioner/deralier or not.You chainstays have to be the right lenght as well as your gearing and the most likely if your lucky and can the chain will stretch anyway and go slack. I would just buy a tensioner or deralieur. If your running single speed then it doesnt have to be a special trials tensioner. Just use a normal deraileur that goes on a mountain bike alot of people includeing meself do that and just zip tie it to the frame if need be to stop it banging about when hoping.