Magura Hs33 Set-up Problems.

Phreemann

I've just fitted my new (to me) Magura HS33 rear brake, and it seems impossible to get both pads to hit properly at the same time. At the minute it seems to work well, but one side hits far before the other.

The side that hits afterwards is adjusted as far in as it can possibly go, the other side quite far in without a much room to move it further in. I'm running a Woodman Elite frame with four bolt mounts, and 24Seven Supercross rims which I'm pretty sure are 32mm wide. The pads are Snowy's, and are somewhat worn at an angle (secondhand brake).

Any thoughts? I've looked at the Tensile offset mounts, but they don't seem to allow the brake to move any further in unless it's at 90 degrees to the seatstay. The brake does work, but it's not ideal - what can I do to sort it out?

Sounds like it needs rebleeding. Then both pistons will move at the same time.

That's not what's happening - both pistons move perfectly together, but one is closer to the wheel than the other, and the one furthest away can't be moved in any more. I bled it with water this morning, and there's no problem with the bleed.

Is the rim more to one side of the frame?

If so, the wheel may need re-dishing.

I guess it must do. That's annoying, but shouldn't take too long. I loosen the side that's too close and tighten the side that's too far, right?

Get yourself a wide rim. look on tartys http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=2016 . No messing about with offset mounts and all tht shit. Get it once and be done with it.

Problem is that my bike isn't strictly trials specific - I use it for street and dirt jumping as well, so I don't really want to lose the all round ability.

I'm sure thay can handle it

I'm sure they can - my point is my wheels are perfectly fine for what I do, and I don't really want the hassle of rebuilding them and buying a new rim when the one I've got is perfectly alright.

I'll try dishing the wheel, then I might have to think again.