Would 1t Make A Difference

Vee

I use to ride a gearing of 22t/16t then changed to 22t/18t and found it alot better

Now im using a gearing of 18t/16t and find it to errrrm Im not sure how to describe it but "pussy"

Iv just ordered a 15t rear sprocket and wondered if it will make that much of a difference?

Cheers

Vee

22/18 is almost perfectly the same as 18/15.

I like that ratio by the way. Running 18/16 was just too slow for taps i found.

Thats the trouble im having, have you tried both? is there a big difference?

cheers for the reply guys

Vee

I'm having the same problem as you. I used to ride a street bike and did trials on 22:17(with 175 mm cranks), or when I had my friend's echo pure beneath me, I used 22:19(170's). Now I'm on 18:16 with 170's and I find it's good for gapping and such, but it's quite terrible for pedal ups. I'm able to bunnyhop 36", but my pedal ups are only like 30". I feel like there's not enough power in the drivetrain...So I intend to get a 15 tooth on the back B) . I hate how restrictive an 18t cog can be...16 is too soft and 15 is a bit too hard...hmmm 15:13 :shifty:

I'm having the same problem as you. I used to ride a street bike and did trials on 22:17(with 175 mm cranks), or when I had my friend's echo pure beneath me, I used 22:19(170's). Now I'm on 18:16 with 170's and I find it's good for gapping and such, but it's quite terrible for pedal ups. I'm able to bunnyhop 36", but my pedal ups are only like 30". I feel like there's not enough power in the drivetrain...So I intend to get a 15 tooth on the back B) . I hate how restrictive an 18t cog can be...16 is too soft and 15 is a bit too hard...hmmm 15:13 :shifty:

HAHA i find it terrible for gapping (18/16) not enogh to pedal on to get a decent distance. Hopefully my sprocket comes tomorrow and i can start riding better

Vee

Its your body movement/how hard you can kick in a short space of time that makes you gap far, 18/16 or 18/15 are the most common ratios on stock, and dont feel much different, im pretty sure the people gapping the furthest will be using 18/16

Edited by afroman

Its your body movement/how hard you can kick in a short space of time that makes you gap far, 18/16 or 18/15 are the most common ratios on stock, and dont feel much different, im pretty sure the people gapping the furthest will be using 18/16

Why would 16t go further thn 15t when u can generate more from a 15t?

ay ay, i want answers lol

I find any gearing heavier than 18:17 very limiting. You need more space for run ups, it's not as easy to move your body around. So far the perfect setup I've come across was 18:17 on 158mm cranks. It was great for gaps and also good for taps, due to the shorter cranks you could pedal much faster. Now having changed to 170mm cranks on the same gearing, I can't tap nearly as high as before.

I find any gearing heavier than 18:17 very limiting. You need more space for run ups, it's not as easy to move your body around. So far the perfect setup I've come across was 18:17 on 158mm cranks. It was great for gaps and also good for taps, due to the shorter cranks you could pedal much faster. Now having changed to 170mm cranks on the same gearing, I can't tap nearly as high as before.

Thats quite a strange gearibng lol i would find that way to easy to pedal and generate no power at all, but thats me and i guess its all down to personal preference

Why would 16t go further thn 15t when u can generate more from a 15t?

Having a lower gear ratio (easier to pedal / lighter) allows better acceleration, so when you gapping you'll get a better kick. However, if you go too low, you'll get a good kick but you wont move forward as much as you would with a higher gearing.

If you go too high, it'd me like trying to gap a bmx.

There no easy rule, like "the lower the gearing the further you'll gap" it doesn't work like that. Don't worry about having a good gear to ride to places, i'd much rather have a gear ratio that was perfect for trials riding than sacrficing that so i could get there 2 mins ealier.

Its all about finding the middle man, seems your on the right track with trying different gearing. (Y)

yeh i spose, but for me, i cant seem to ride aswell as i could when i had 22/18, now im on 18/16 but it seems way off. the nearest to 22/18 is 18/15 which is almost spot on

i hope it works out

Vee

Maybe you need to work on your technique a bit to adjust for the lower gear, pedaling later/faster