Fixing Loose Cranks - Isis Spline

Greetings

I have no idea how the Wiki works and how to add stuff so if you find this of any use, feel free to add it yourself.

You will need

-A can

-Scissors

-8mm allen key

-Crank removal tool

-Grease

Cut the can up into narrow strips, about 4mm wide. The length isn't really important as long as it exceeds the length of the spline.

isis_1.JPG

Place the strips on the spline and bend them into the axle so they stay on. You'll also need to shape the strips so they match the shape of the spline. This can be done with a 4mm or smaller allen key, or a pencil. The amount of strips you will have to use will depend on how loose the spline is. It's best to cover the whole spline (10 strips) but you might not be able to get the cranks on. Put lots of grease on the spline, onto the strips and between the strips and the spline.

isis_2.JPG

Push the cranks as deep in as you can, then brake the strips off using tweezers or something equally small

isis_3.JPG

isis_4.JPG

isis_5.JPG

isis_6.JPG

Screw them down.

The same can be done with a square taper although it's a bit more difficult.

If you're not clumsy, razors are the best things to use. Unfortunately, they can't be used on ISIS due to the curvature of the spline.

Edited by Inur

Octalink is similar to the Isis interface to this could work as well - my cranks were badly loose and the bolts were tightened to the maximum so I just put some epoxy resin glue in between cranks and bb. Been working great for over month now without problems.

Octalink is similar to the Isis interface to this could work as well - my cranks were badly loose and the bolts were tightened to the maximum so I just put some epoxy resin glue in between cranks and bb. Been working great for over month now without problems.

Haha i dont think youll be getting them cranks off for a long time that stuffs strong.