Network: Xp To Vista

br3n

I know the networking side of vista has more than a few problems at the moment but I would like to think networking between the two is possible?

I have just bought a laptop with Visa home premium installed and would like to network with my home network (XP)

I have my pc in my room and my laptop here as well, My network cable is split using a hub between the two (in my room)

Both have fully working internet, both can access the router control panel (192.168.1.1) but I have no clue as to how to make the two work together with each other.

Anyone have any clues? I simply cba to use a 2gb memory drive to move about 100gb's between the two...

If both can access the network control panel surely it's as easy as making sure they're both in the same workgroup then it should be just drag and drop.

This dude seems to have done it, http://www.svabhinava.org/Dia-Gnosis/Sunth...staXP-frame.php but you need to view the page in IE as its in *.mht format, or read it on here

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/ShowPo...5&siteid=17

Edited by MonsterJ

Start > Network > Network and Sharing Center > Turn off password protected sharing, Enable File Sharing, Enable Network Discovery

Then right click on any folder and go properties > click the sharing tab > click share > select guest from the dropdown menu and click add > set them as a reader/contributor/co-owner > click share.

A bit more complicated than XP but much much better for advanced sharing.

cheers danny got it all working pretty much same method as you've just posted. works xp > vista and then vista > xp.

Must admit i was ready to hate vista and was planning on getting xp asap and unless i have any problems with autocad/3dsm running between the two theres no way im going back to XP on this machine, Vistas interface and general prettyness (doesnt seam to be any slower either) is supremem. anoying trying to find everything you need but still fairly logical.

im impressed.

ps there are hundreds of people having networking problems with vista to xp, its funny only took me 1 hour on and off to sort and im not the most capable of pc users! anyways... thumbs up from me.