Photo Editing Software

TomR

I had Ulead PhotoImpact12 but that no longer works, setup files gone walkabouts and i don't have the CD.

What else can i use that's free? I know you'll all tell me to get CS2, but i have this already and unfortunately the key-code doesnt work, so any other ideas?

Cheers for any ideas, or, erm... assistance ;)

nothing out there compares to photoshop to be honist, however im on cs3 and have tried cs2 etc but 7.0 is by far superior.

its faster, less crap and has some extremely useful shortcuts which have gone in later versions. you'll find a lot of very very very good designers using even older versions than 7.

I think for Photo stuff CS2 is quite a lot better - certainly I think it is. I don't find it any slower than 7.0, either. But maybe for the web design side of things, I can see why 7.0 might be better. They're pretty similar, anyway.

I think for Photo stuff CS2 is quite a lot better - certainly I think it is. I don't find it any slower than 7.0, either. But maybe for the web design side of things, I can see why 7.0 might be better. They're pretty similar, anyway.

I thought the exact same thing, version 7.0 is slightly faster but nothing its nothing too major and its missing some awesome features that cs2 has. cs3 on the other hand isn't such a good leap from cs2, its practically identical aside from a couple of features i'd never use.

I thought the exact same thing, version 7.0 is slightly faster but nothing its nothing too major and its missing some awesome features that cs2 has. cs3 on the other hand isn't such a good leap from cs2, its practically identical aside from a couple of features i'd never use.

they've also moved all the bloody keyboard shortcuts in cs3 which id plain gay.

ooh, ooh

I just wanted to say that piracy is not allowed on this forum and I don't want to be a part of it ;)

GIMP is supposed to be good. I've never used it personally but if you aren't into downloading Photoshop and wan't something legally free then it may well be worth a shot.

GIMP is ok if you're not going to do much more than some intermediate level photo editing - serious work requires Photoshop.

edit:

yes, piracy is evil and I am repentant

Edited by poopipe

The one shortcut I used to use ALLLL the time on 7.0 which has been removed is, control click a layer and it selects whats on that layer... Not like select all but actually whats on that layer (for example a text outline) thats sooooooo useful but I cant find it in cs2/3 anyone have any clues?

The one shortcut I used to use ALLLL the time on 7.0 which has been removed is, control click a layer and it selects whats on that layer... Not like select all but actually whats on that layer (for example a text outline) thats sooooooo useful but I cant find it in cs2/3 anyone have any clues?

Works for me fine on CS2, I use it all the time. They'd be stupid to remove that, it's one of the main ones!

I can't fault PhotoShop CS3 Extended. (Ok, the extended version is only really for graphic design and stuff like that)

I've had PaintShopPro 8.0 in the past too. It was ok, good and cheap, but it's a bit tame compared to PhotoShop.

Download the trial of PS, then try and figure out how to use it for the first time :giggle:

It depends what your doing with it, what camera you have etc. If you have a cheapo point and shoot that you keep in your pocket on rides and take out in the eve to get shots of mates UTI, then really any program will do as your not going to be able to make them "better" with PhotoShop. On the other hand if you shoot with something half decent then splash the cash and go for PhotoShop.

Remember kids, don't pirate software!

<Piracy is bad>