Cheap, Insanely Loud Pc Speakers

SQuiT-man

Okay,

so I want some very cheap (im very low on funds as a student), but loud-ish PC speakers to blow my mate nextdoor's basic hifi out of the picture.

Looking on ebay there are a number of very interesting deals, for example:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-1000W-PMPO-Silver-5-1-PC-Surround-Sound-Speakers_W0QQitemZ140170503946QQihZ004QQcategoryZ3702QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcm

dZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-1000W-PMPO-Silve...1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

A THOUSAND WATTS PMPO!!?!?!? 30 quid posted!?

obviosly these can't be great quality, and infact i can't understand how they can possibly be 1000 watts... any ideas??

There's a number of very loud cheapo speakers on there, for example also:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-2-1-Black-PC-ipod-mp3-Speakers-500w-PMPO-Sub_W0QQitemZ160169899632QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3702QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie

wItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-2-1-Black-PC-ipo...1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

These look pretty sweet for 40 posted, 500w!!? how can this be??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated from someone who know's what they're talking about, or anyone who knows someone with insanely loud cheapo speakers!

Cheers,

Scott

Edited by SQuiT-man

Be careful with ratings on speakers there's PMPO (peak music power output) which is a measure of audio amplifier power output. It's deceiving because it considers an amplifier's power output under perfect conditions and only for a short instant. Then there's RMS ratings, these are the ones to look at.

For example on your second set of speakers:

Product Specifications
Nuopo newest 2.1 multimedia systems; Piano painting on the front panel.

Output Subwoofer (RMS): 20W

Output Satellite(RMS): 10W

Output P.M.P.O: 500W

So they're really only 20W and 10W...

Sorry buddy, but you aren't going to drive a set of powerful speakers without the use of a good amplifier (see £100+). And theres no point in buying a good amp and cheapo speakers or visa versa. A reasonable stereo set up would be about £200 ish.

NAD 3020 amp, + Mission M70 speakers cost me about £170 I think via Ebay. Bit of twin works fine as speaker cable! Make sure you buy a decent stereo to phono lead though if you're playing from the computer.

Mink is certainly correct, always go by RMS power output. Makes me laugh when people quote "Check out the 2000W sub in my car"

Edited by will

yeah, i started to notice all that soon after i posted it..

i think i only want about, dunno.. 70 watts total rms? will that be reasonably loud for a set of pc speakers in my bedroom? would that be alright for a bit of a party in the next room?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Logitech-X-530-5-1-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

Bare in mind my budget is only around £50 posted max, so those are pushing it! A couple of the cheaper ones around 40 posted have an amp built in to the subwoofer, but i think they are around the same 50-70w RMS total output too

Cheers

Be careful with ratings on speakers there's PMPO (peak music power output) which is a measure of audio amplifier power output. It's deceiving because it considers an amplifier's power output under perfect conditions and only for a short instant. Then there's RMS ratings, these are the ones to look at.

For example on your second set of speakers:

So they're really only 20W and 10W...

is that not stated as a thevenins equivilant voltage?

Insanely Loud & Cheap don't go together.

I'm spoilt now anyway as I'm a DJ with a wall of speakers like a club in my studio so no hifi sounds loud anymore.

If you're after loud, get a PA system (Power Amp & Two club speakers) - though this is by no stretch of the imagination cheap.

Please, please, please do not buy anything that claims to have 2000watts.

I have 2,200 watts - using 6 speakers and 3 power amps - not a little set of PC speakers!

If you want decent quality, look at NAD, Harman Kardon, TEAC, Onkyo... for Amplifiers and Mission, Wharfedale, KEF etc... for Speakers. (Though a stereo setup like this will cost over £250 unless second hand).

I love music so wouldn't spend less than that :)

i think i only want about, dunno.. 70 watts total rms? will that be reasonably loud for a set of pc speakers in my bedroom? would that be alright for a bit of a party in the next room?

Them speakers are beast, i have a set in my room set up around my walls from my pc! Very good upgrade from my gay pc one's!

Insanely Loud & Cheap don't go together.

I'm spoilt now anyway as I'm a DJ with a wall of speakers like a club in my studio so no hifi sounds loud anymore.

If you're after loud, get a PA system (Power Amp & Two club speakers) - though this is by no stretch of the imagination cheap.

Please, please, please do not buy anything that claims to have 2000watts.

I have 2,200 watts - using 6 speakers and 3 power amps - not a little set of PC speakers!

If you want decent quality, look at NAD, Harman Kardon, TEAC, Onkyo... for Amplifiers and Mission, Wharfedale, KEF etc... for Speakers. (Though a stereo setup like this will cost over £250 unless second hand).

I love music so wouldn't spend less than that :)

But i don't want anything like that!! i said i got a £50 budget lol, i just want the loudest cheap speakers i can get for under that!

bingo

ive got these, and its excellent value for money. the sub rattles the papers hanging from the notice board in the other room on max power output. good quality also (Y)

Awesome! Just ordered a set, thats a better deal than you can even get on ebay when you consider the free postage aswell as the £18 off

quality budget 76 watt 5.1 sound for £37 posted- should be about twice as loud as my mates hifi

:D

Bare in mind my budget is only around £50 posted max, so those are pushing it! A couple of the cheaper ones around 40 posted have an amp built in to the subwoofer, but i think they are around the same 50-70w RMS total output too

Cheers

I had them, They were minttt. But when i got my new dell i got a better sound system. So i sold it all.

But if you want cheap but loud. Go for them.