Eno Freewheel Mod

Ali C

seeing as I am on a friends computer and dont have msn I cant ask my smart msn buddies this question, so I'll put it to the masses (and risk embarasment :rolleyes: )

I have a White Industries ENO trials freewheel on my bike. I fancy trying a 16 or 17 tooth cog on the front though to get a preffered gear (and a tad more clearence).

I have seen you can get ENO freewheels with two cogs, either 16-18 or 17-19. my question is this....... Would those standard ENO freewheels outers be compatable with a trials one (my understanding is they are the same minus some strengening). If it does fit, my plan is to pop the the two cog outer shell on a lathe and turn down the bigger cog into a stump, I feel having the extra ring of the other cog should strengthen the outer shell quite a lot.

Any thoughts? Obviously I want to be sure it would work before I spend my cash on it.

badgers

Al

Not a bad plan Ali, you'd have to make sure the sprocket you want to use is over the bearing and the sprocket you want to machine down is over the freewheel mechanism though...

And then the trials one is extra heat treated/hardened...

In short: Don't do it, I don't want you killing yourself again!

So you want to turn down the teeth off of the 19/18 tooth cog and leave a ring beside the smaller chainring? if so i'm not sure it would work because the 19 tooth cog without any teeth wouldn't completely cover the 17 tooth chainring, so there would be about 2-4mm of chain and chainring left exposed.