Powdercoating !

Danny Kearns

Hey there people. Im going be getting my frame Powdercoated very soon. Just a few questions:

1 - How much will it cost for them to do a mod frame and forks ?

2 - Will i have to strip the frame before hand ?

3 - Do i have the cover up any threads or will it be ok ?

All help would be great.

Danny.

Jst so you know, It's lighter and cheaper to spray with cans, then lacquer.

I think you'll be looking at around £40 - 60 for a job, you will need to strip it, unless they over a blasting service aswell. Don't worry about threads, they can easily be sorted after the job is done.

How ?

Oooh la la, threads definitely need covering up.

And why ?

Danny.

Okay you can chase all the threads afterwards, but is it really worth it? Any normal person would cover up the threads (which is free of charge). Then you wouldn't have the stress of getting the threads back to normal and there wouldn't be any risk of cross threading. But ofcourse, do as you wish.

Power coating is good, but makesure whoever does it isn't a complete idiot. The paint is baked onto the metal, and can mess up the frame if not careful. A mate's Onza got done, and lost it's stiffness entirely (I'm guessing it was heated really high and allowed to cool too slowly). This meant you could bend the frame with your bare hands! In fact, we took great fun in snapping it into about 15 bits...

Whilst on this subject. My brake mounts are 5mm now. Not 4. I know the brake booster bolts are 4mm. I need a brake booster for my frame. Any idea where i can get them bolts but in 5mm and the big enough spacers aswell.

All help will be great.

Danny.

bolts... not sure about spacers thoo ,