Strength To Weight Ratio ?

liam-pantera

hi guys

well tomorow im ordering my new frame and ive narrowed it down to 2 choices , the echo lite or the echo team . Know im not a noob but ive never had experiance with echo mods , i know that the echo lite is very light but lacks cnc compontenry and also lacks a brake booster .

So basicly i was wondering should i go for the slightly longer team which ways more or should i go for the light weight version .

also how do they ride ? i have herd good comments about the echo lite but not so much about the team , well i apretiate any help :)

and tarty you will be getting a phone call tomoz ;-)

Strength to weight wise there won't be much in them at all. The only area the Team will be stiffer in will be the brake feel. You could argue that the extra 100 or so grams extra weight on the team is pretty much just booster plate. This could make a little difference to the stiffness of the frame when pedaling, but whether it'd be a noticeable difference when compared to the Lite, that's definitely debatable.

When you talk actual strength to weight, the light might just shade it, as it's lighter but not discernibly 'weaker', just not as stiff in certain characteristics.

Personally I'd go for a Lite and then get a booster if the brake wasn't as stiff as I'd hoped. Lighter way and about the same price.

Geometry though....

Personally I love sort 20" bikes, though with just 10mm between the short of each frame, the extra 10mm cockpit room would be welcomed by most people. But 10mm shouldn't have too much of a detremental effect on bunnyhops etc. A 1025 Lite would be a lot of people's choice just because the short is too short.

Argh, decisions. All that said, for ME, if the short lite was a little too short, I'd accept the extra weight and get a 1015 Team, as the extra 100g ish over a long Lite would be glossed over by the extra flicky handling of the 10mm shorter Team.

How to confuse someone buying a frame in a few easy steps! haha

thanks dave , you have given me alot to think about , my main reason for having a new frame is outgrowing my short ko ( and they ride mank ) so i was thinking about getting the 1030 team , but know you have raised some points which may lead to me getting a lite as you said its the perfect medium as its not too long and its not short .

thanks for the replys so far .

lites are made from the same stuff as missions (N) and weigh 1.955kg yet the team is 2.081kg (86gram heavyer)

with a built in booster. yet the lite with a decent booster will add at least 100grams making it heavyer and not as

strong plus the lite would be £229 + £20(for the booster) =£249 the echo team is £249 and is stronger :D

rick

missions = snappy happy, thats why

thats probably more to do with how they are made and the actual design of the bikes, than what they are made of. thats like saying all bikes made of 7005 and 6061 alu are weak because one model of some brand that used that alloy was snap happy. bit of a silly comment.

i would go for the bike you think the geo is going to suit you better on. i doubt the 80-100 grams weight saving will make a huge difference. im sure if really needed you could save that weight elsewhere. and as its only a 5mm wheelbase difference between the two (which is in the toptube length as head angle and chainstays are the same length) of which you could replicate with either frame with the right choice of stem/stack height combo etc it probably boils down to which one you prefer the look of!

thats probably more to do with how they are made and the actual design of the bikes, than what they are made of. thats like saying all bikes made of 7005 and 6061 alu are weak because one model of some brand that used that alloy was snap happy. bit of a silly comment.

i would go for the bike you think the geo is going to suit you better on. i doubt the 80-100 grams weight saving will make a huge difference. im sure if really needed you could save that weight elsewhere. and as its only a 5mm wheelbase difference between the two (which is in the toptube length as head angle and chainstays are the same length) of which you could replicate with either frame with the right choice of stem/stack height combo etc it probably boils down to which one you prefer the look of!

I know where your coming from but in my oppinion the lite has been made for a certain reason to be lite yet cheap tarty and other companys

always boast about a frame beeing U6 alu "Constructed from tough U6 aluminium", "Constructed from the massively successful Ultra 6 Aluminium"

as being great.I much prefer U6 because trust it more i wouldn't be able to trust any frames made from magnesium 6061 or anyhing like that sorry guys but thats just my oppinion :(

plus i've had a go on a team and it feels great :D:D:D

rick

Edited by onzat-comp

What they are made out of means nothing. I had an 05 t-mag frame, made of shit and it dented when you flicked it, it snapped. Now I have an Ozonys. Its made of the same stuff as the t-mag, isn't shit (far from it) and isn't going to break like the t-mag did.

You are not going to break either in the foreseeable future. Get a lite.

Echo Lite is mostly designed around great Echo Team frame from around 2003-2004 from what I remember. The 6061 is still pretty good as most frames are made from it, but still it has to be some reason that Deng gives 6 months warranty for 6061 frames and U6 got 1 year warranty. Still both are not likely to snap anyway. So I wouldnt bother about strenght. Just buy one which you like more.

BTW I had Echo Team short since I always wanted one so much. But sold one as it didn't suit me how I expected (maybe thats because i'm stock rider?)

Personally I'd go for Echo Team long=]

I have never seen an broken Echo Lite?

And the Team is not 86gr heavyer, its 136gr heavyer!

i'm compairing the "08" (magura mount) lite against the "07" team the team is 2.081kg and the lite is 1.955kg so thats 2.081kg - 1.955kg = 86grams

Now I have an Ozonys. Its made of the same stuff as the t-mag

Incorrect - the Mag used to be 7005-T6, its now 6061-T6 and the Ozonys is 6064-T6.

Just because the tubes are thin doesn't mean it's the same alloy (Y)

Out of the two... I would probably go for the Lite cos I'm a weight weenie, but if you like your brakes a bit stiffer then the Team is a good best, especially at a discounted price.

Ads