Quick One For The Computer Boffins.

Walleee

Right My laptop's FSB runs at 533MHz, most RAM on Ebay seems to be 667MHz or otherwise it's not stated.

How much does it matter? Will I be alright to throw in some 667MHz stuff or will that cause a balls up?

Getting pissed at the poor performance of late.

Right My laptop's FSB runs at 533MHz, most RAM on Ebay seems to be 667MHz or otherwise it's not stated.

How much does it matter? Will I be alright to throw in some 667MHz stuff or will that cause a balls up?

Yeah, it can always go slower. 667 is just the intended maximum. Just make sure it's the right memory type (probably laptop DDR2).

It'll be fine yeah. If your completely replacing the old ram the computer should read that the memory is a higher speed and it will adjust the memory multiplier to compensate. If it doesn't you'll have to do it yourself in the bios by hitting something like F2 or DEL at startup when it tells you to "hit .... to enter setup".

If you plan on keeping your existing and adding the new stuff to it, it will just run at the same speed as the old stuff, as it'll be limited to the speed of the slowest ram module.

Thought as much, cheers lads. I wish I had of bet some money Kris would reply, was actually just going to PM you but thought that was a little presumptious!

Nah don't worry about it, rowan pm'd me yesterday and today for some computer advice so it wouldn't be the first time.

8 Minutes for a double opinioned, guaranteed answer turnaround time though... we were on the ball :lol:

They bothered to make 133 DDR? I thought that was in the realms of SDram. If it is DDR then you should be fine with that Infineon 1gb module.

CPU-Z never lies. ;)

I hope my motherboard can go higher than 133mhz. I want more speed....

They bothered to make 133 DDR? I thought that was in the realms of SDram. If it is DDR then you should be fine with that Infineon 1gb module.

Yeah DDR266 = 133MHz = PC2100. It's not THAT old. And yeah, that RAM you linked to should work fine for a desktop system (not laptop).

Your motherboard may well go faster than 133, but you CPU probably won't go much higher. Depends what it is though.