How Do You Take Pads Out Of There Backings?

JaMmY

Me and Prawn scratched our heads over this all Xmas, untill Bigman wandered up and just said "Boil them."

Whack them in a pan of boiling water on the stove, keep it boiling (obviously not over) and after about ten minutes you should be able to just pop them out.

And just to cover myself from all angles - please don't try and pick the pads out of the pan with your fingers. Scalding REALLY hurts....

Rich

i would have said that too,

does it not damage them at all?

Ive separted them to use the backing not the pad - I dont know of any cases where it has a detrimental effect on the pad material. Boiling works, so does putting them in the oven for a little while (just dont forget about them). Another way that has woorked is gently crushing them in a vice which will break the glue bond as its generally quite brittle. If you dont need the backing the vice might be a good option as you can be a bit more heavy handed with it.

Krisboats is your best bet, drop him a PM, he knows everything about these rim brake things.

He he, well... sometimes i've found that putting them in boiling water doesn't completely break the glue bonds, so they're still stuck in some places. When you go to pull them out bits tear off and your left with useless pads.

Sticking them in the oven, 120-160'ish and taking them out regularly (every 2 minutes or so) to check see if they will come out is the best way to do it. They heat up just the right amount so as not to damage the rubber, but to turn the glue sticky. This means they just easily slide out which is nice.

Obviously take them out using a towel or pliers as they WILL be hot! Then just either push an allen key through the clip hole or use another pair of pliers to grip the material while the other pair is holding the backing and simpley pry it out.

Be prepared to for the pads to take between 10 and 20 minutes to break the glue bonds, as the glue varies depending on the pads. Don't stick them in an leave them there either, as you may find it was too long and the pad material has gone gooey while you've been away, regular checking IS required.

Edited by Krisboats

He he, well... sometimes i've found that putting them in boiling water doesn't completely break the glue bonds, so they're still stuck in some places. When you go to pull them out bits tear off and your left with useless pads.

Sticking them in the oven, 120-160'ish and taking them out regularly (every 2 minutes or so) to check see if they will come out is the best way to do it. They heat up just the right amount so as not to damage the rubber, but to turn the glue sticky. This means they just easily slide out which is nice.

Obviously take them out using a towel or pliers as they WILL be hot! Then just either push an allen key through the clip hole or use another pair of pliers to grip the material while the other pair is holding the backing and simpley pry it out.

Be prepared to for the pads to take between 10 and 20 minutes to break the glue bonds, as the glue varies depending on the pads. Don't stick them in an leave them there either, as you may find it was too long and the pad material has gone gooey while you've been away, regular checking IS required.

would that not impare the shape of the pad and cause it to mis-shape as the pads are softer due to the heat?

just a general wonderingment

Ben

I concur with Krisboats.

Boiling works with some pads, but it can still be difficult to separate some brands from the plastic backings following boiling.

That little bit extra temperature above 100 degC from using the oven works with all pads, as in the link to my Pads guide posted by JonMac. This is my recommended method from alot of experience. Quick, easy & reliable!

Steve