Head Sets

rideing ridic

Pour Boiling hot water down it then bash it out with one of these...

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.as...0&item=RT-1

Don't try and just bash it out with a Screwdriver becouse you wont get it out straight and you will gouge the Headtube wich will stop it being air/water tight and more importantly is just shit !

Or take it to a bike shop ? They'll take it out and press the new one in for £15...Well thats all i charged at Cycleworks.

Or if you can't be bothered to do any of that and just want it out....

Then bash it with a hammer and a dit of wood (Y)

But, NEVER put a Headset in yourself without the propper tool ! It'll f**k your frame !

Jarrod

The press or the basher-outer ?

The Basher outer will cost you about £20 and is an invaluable tool that will last for life.

The presses are quite alot of money, the one i used at work was £90 and came with a selection of different size pushers and a Hope adapter.

Both of these are Avaliable through Park tools and will last you for life ! So you can probably get them in your local bike shop (none of this halfords shit)

Jarrod

hammer, peice of wood over the top so you dont damage it, and twat it one :D

So your frames f**ked then.

unless i justgo o a shop andask them to put my new adament one in ??????????

but then iwont have the tool that i cnause all the time hmm thanks mate ill see into getting one thanks alot

Yeah, i mean it's nice to do it yourself and it's really bloody expensive and a professional can do it in half the time at a third of the cost so....?

Just please, don't put it in yourself ! I put a Headset in my Pashley that way and i ovalised the Head tube and had to heat treat the frame to get it back to size ! Nearly killed my baby :(

Jarrod

Pour Boiling hot water down it then bash it out with one of these...

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.as...0&item=RT-1

Don't try and just bash it out with a Screwdriver becouse you wont get it out straight and you will gouge the Headtube wich will stop it being air/water tight and more importantly is just shit !

Or take it to a bike shop ? They'll take it out and press the new one in for £15...Well thats all i charged at Cycleworks.

Or if you can't be bothered to do any of that and just want it out....

Then bash it with a hammer and a dit of wood (Y)

But, NEVER put a Headset in yourself without the propper tool ! It'll f**k your frame !

Jarrod

It isn't a tight fit so it's water tight! It's an inteference fit, meaning that's all that holds it (and your forks) onto your frame.

Also, I don't recommend it if you don't know what you're doing. But I installed my headset with a block of wood and a hammer and it's been fine for a year and still going strong. Mostly because I wanted to build it there and then though :D

It isn't a tight fit so it's water tight! It's an inteference fit, meaning that's all that holds it (and your forks) onto your frame.

Well, becouse i did mine in that way the downtube got loads of water in it from washing/riding etc and started to rust out my Fatty's and my BB (worked it's way down the downtube)

And also, the Headset dosen't hold anything to the frame....Thats the stem and top cap mate (Y)

Jarrod

im never doign that then im talking about my new frame lol and ohh it the pashley ok haha :(

Yeah, click the Pashley in my Sig (Y)

Jarrod

Edited by Pashley26

haha im not tacking that tisk noinf me ill mess it up thats just me all over lol and idont wonna meesss my adament head set or my zona zip fram up :(

the bike is very nice mate my sisters boy fiend used to ride one but hes guit now :o

Ahhh man, don't ride one.

Once you go blue theres no going back XD

Jarrod

Well, becouse i did mine in that way the downtube got loads of water in it from washing/riding etc and started to rust out my Fatty's and my BB (worked it's way down the downtube)

And also, the Headset dosen't hold anything to the frame....Thats the stem and top cap mate (Y)

Jarrod

Yeah, water would get in if you flared your headtube I suppose. It just made it sound like that was your main concern when fitting a headset.

Fair enough the headset doesn't hold the forks in, you got me there (but the topcap is mainly used for bearing pre-load)! Never really thought about it, I suppose it would still stay in the frame even if you're headtube was seriously flared, just from the stem. Doubt it'd do the bike a lot of good though! :D

Fyfey :turned:

Haha, well it's always best to have a Professional fit things like that to a bike.

Wich is why i had to work in a bike shop ! I was shocking ! I couldn't even bleed brakes before i started working at a bike shop !

Jarrod

haha lol what shop is it mate ? were you live ? how long you been irdieng

what do you meen once you get a blue thers no going bakcm ate idnt get that ? :S :S:s :P

Someone should seriously make an affordable headset press. For DIY bike mechanics who can't justify spending £100+ for a tool that only gets used once in a blue moon.

I know it's cheap to get it fitted at your LBS, and if I was buying a frame from Tarty, I'd probably get them to fit it (apart from waiting for a workshop time slot maybe). But I like doing things myself, and given the option I would spend more to get the tool and do it myself rather than pay someone else to work on my bike.

Probably just me, lol.

well siad mate are they realy £100 odd pound thats crazy id spend it on snap on toos :P but thats it omfg thats realy expecive

Someone should seriously make an affordable headset press. For DIY bike mechanics who can't justify spending £100+ for a tool that only gets used once in a blue moon.

I know it's cheap to get it fitted at your LBS, and if I was buying a frame from Tarty, I'd probably get them to fit it (apart from waiting for a workshop time slot maybe). But I like doing things myself, and given the option I would spend more to get the tool and do it myself rather than pay someone else to work on my bike.

Probably just me, lol.

nah mate not just you me as well :$ haha id rather do it for nothing than 100£

vinny what did you do that was go bad mate ?????????????????? :)

I stand corrected... again! Damn, twice in one topic... I found a headset press tool for £35 on ChainReaction :o I was thinking of the Beastly Park Tool one which is £129 (I wish!).

X-Tools Workshop Headset Press Tool

haha easy mitsake ithink i mgiht just takeit to a shop what you think