Double Rear Brake

hi, guys i know this is a trials forum but i had a idea for my street bike last night.

rear disc and rear v brake on the same bike, the only problem is that i only wnat one lever and cant really think of

anything to incorperate 2 levers into one can anyone help?

jake.

why would you like two brakes at the back anyway??

from john.p

why not i like to try new things :D

ok well the only way i bet is to find some how to make the cable like a y so you connect it to the lever then to the two brakes im not sure if you can but maybe it would work it would be cool to see if you can do it

from john.p

ok well the only way i bet is to find some how to make the cable like a y so you connect it to the lever then to the two brakes im not sure if you can but maybe it would work it would be cool to see if you can do it

from john.p

yeah i thought about that i also though about welding two lever bodies together i also cant use a gyro as its a old aircraft aluminium frame so you cant weld anything onto it.

Edited by dirt jumper jake

If both are wire brakes then you could build a special lever that can take two wires.

But if it's oil brakes then you could take a hose splitter(I think monty has one) and put it on the hose from the lever and then split it to the two brakes. But first of all you will lose a lot of the motion on the brakes because they have to share the amount oil from just one lever and for the second they have to be made for same type of oil.

Just a cool thing to do but I don't think you will get so much out of it except trouble x2.

Edited by Henrik Y

If both are wires brakes then you could build a special lever that can take two wires.

But if it's oil brakes then you could take a split hose(I think monty has one) and put it on the hose from the lever and then split it to the two brakes. But first of all you will lose a lot of the motion on the brakes because they have to share the amount oil from just one lever and for the second they have to be made for same type of oil.

Just a cool thing to do but I don't think you will get so much out of it except trouble x2.

i will be using a black shimano deore v brkae (cable) and a silver rear shimano deore calbe disc. if you go onto the wooly hat shop on ebay or just type in shimano 495 youll see it.

Edited by dirt jumper jake

It will actually be a miracle if you can get them both to touch their relative surface at the same time, as in it'll be nearly impossible...

It's easier with hydraulic brakes as magura levers allow you to take the bleed screw out and chuck another hose on and then bleed it from cylinder to cylinder...

Try it but it'll be a b*****d and it'll be more than likely that you'll only be using one brake all the time..

It been talked about alot, and everyone said theres no need as a good rear maggie or vee is good enough and so is a disk on there own. And to get them to work together would be really tuff and you would have the problem that if you dont get them to lock together then, if the disk locks first it only allows the hub to lock which means the rim always turns still slightly putting lots of pressure and force on spokes if your rim break then locks it ill be holding the rim under tension and youll ruin wheels. Its just to much hassle to get it to work and no need as breaks are good enough these days and added weight thats not needed.

hi mate. dont know if its much use but supercylces in notts did that a few years ago on a mountain bike. ask em where they got lever from. the lever was made for the job. looked a treat. not my sorta thing though. cant be arsed with setting 1 brake never mind 2 in sync. lol

hi mate. dont know if its much use but supercylces in notts did that a few years ago on a mountain bike. ask em where they got lever from. the lever was made for the job. looked a treat. not my sorta thing though. cant be arsed with setting 1 brake never mind 2 in sync. lol

On a shooter? was in 2000 i was Ten and the T-mag was in final prototype. Had a go on it. Remember like it was yesterday! lol ^_^