Microsoft Silverlight

baladi

WTF is that? The website doesn't me what it is.

From what i've seen, Microsoft has introduced an alternative for Adobe Flash Player, with an improved video quality and all sort of animations....

"Microsoft® Silverlight™ is a cross-browser, cross-platform plug-in for delivering the next generation of media experiences and rich interactive applications for the Web."

Edited by baladi

Microsoft Silverlight is a browser plugin that allows web applications to be developed with features like animation, vector graphics, and audio-video playback - features that characterize a rich internet application. Silverlight competes with products such as Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, Java FX, and Apple QuickTime. Version 2.0 of Silverlight (currently under development) will provide additional capabilities, including advanced interactivity features. Significantly, version 2.0 allows developers to use .NET languages and development tools when authoring Silverlight applications.

Anybody got any problems with using Quicktime or Adobe Flash? Can't see the appeal in having this silverlight, if its anything like the usualy Microsoft productions it'll have a billion security issues an consume all your memory.

f**k that, Flash is going to take over.

Anyone want to discuss Microsoft trying to take over the searching world by buying Yahoo?

As if they are ever going to beat Google, but BG isn't content and wants to beat Adobe at the same time? What a f**king tard. Isn't he rich enough?

and quite rightly so

it will eventually take over from adobe because every microsoft pc will have it from new and things will become silverlight only.

and if yahoo and msn do become one they will have a very similar amount of customers as google so it is possible that one day yahoo will be bigger than microsoft

and quite rightly so

it will eventually take over from adobe because every microsoft pc will have it from new and things will become silverlight only.

and if yahoo and msn do become one they will have a very similar amount of customers as google so it is possible that one day yahoo will be bigger than microsoft

I don't think things will become Silverlight only, the medium has already been created by flash with .swf and .fla so for the developers to create stuff solely for Silverlight they'd only have a Windows audience (I dont think they're stupid enough to do that with Windows becoming less popular) we all know people using Linux or Mac wouldn't be stupid enough to choose it over Adobe Flash or Quicktime. Nobody likes to have a program forced upon them because Microsoft is trying to create more Digital Rights Management.

I think you mean Microsoft could be bigger than Google, it's Microsoft rumoured to buy Yahoo an they'll try to tackle Google. Not Yahoo being bigger than Microsoft.

yeah I mean't google :S msn+yahoo could be bigger

I know windows are becoming less popular but they still hold a huge place in the market so if every copy of windows goes out with silverlight and it is better quality doesn't eat all your ram etc then it will take over and thing's might start becoming tied to it.

Edited by G4vyn

OK he's not a tard, he's a multi billionaire.

But he has a big ego for a little man.

Not at all? Its called business, and he's considered to be one of the most successful businessmen in history. Of course he has ego, and rightly so.

Microsoft buying Yahoo will do nothing as it stands, but its pretty obvious its not going to remain the crappy site that it is now. Its no competition for google, and I doubt that is what its trying to live up to. When they develop Yahoo into something better, it'll be an 'alternative' taking the factors that google doesn't have into consideration.

Google is the most popular search engine, basically down to pure simplicity. Microsoft know that them buying Yahoo will not instantly make millions of visitors; and purchasing yahoo to make it into a contender for Google would simply be a waste of money; unless they turn the whole site around.

Edited by anzo

google is the most down to earth search program ever, they have hundreds of different "add ons" to the search etc like groups, news bla bla bla but unlike yahoo it doesnt take up a full page with shit loads of ads, its just a case of chances are they're here to search, so thats all they need.. all the other crap we've made can be found elsewhere.

No nonsense honist searching!

Wasn't expecting so much the other way :o

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+is...p_ip=UK&vc=

http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=fire...G=Google+Search

Once again another attempt for Microsoft to consume our money :P

i don't think this will take off as said adobe (well macromedia) got there first with flash, and developers are happy using flash,

it was the same last year with web expression i don't know many people who use it, they used dreamweaver, like they will continue to use flash,

at least they haven't made something on the level of photoshop yet :P (well other than paint )

My opinion of this is, it wont last past "beta"(well whatever stage it is now"

Thats just me though.

Edit: Maybe that its me but further looking into the site i see its quite a cool lil app but maybe its a web 2.5 app :P

people are happy with flash and that in my opinion is the way it should stay

*Excuse my poor spelling and grammar im tired*:)

Nic P

Edited by NicP

they'd only have a Windows audience (I dont think they're stupid enough to do that with Windows becoming less popular)

Silverlight comes for Windows and OSX. There is also a 3rd party implementation of it in development for linux.

i don't think this will take off as said adobe (well macromedia) got there first with flash, and developers are happy using flash,

it was the same last year with web expression i don't know many people who use it, they used dreamweaver, like they will continue to use flash,

at least they haven't made something on the level of photoshop yet :P (well other than paint )

Its about time flash had a competitor anyway.

google is the most down to earth search program ever, they have hundreds of different "add ons" to the search etc like groups, news bla bla bla but unlike yahoo it doesnt take up a full page with shit loads of ads, its just a case of chances are they're here to search, so thats all they need.. all the other crap we've made can be found elsewhere.

What your forgetting is that yahoo also own lots of stuff too. E.g Flickr, del.icio.us, kelkoo

OK he's not a tard, he's a multi billionaire.

But he has a big ego for a little man.

Just thought i'd let you know, but he's pretty much wiped out deafness in young kids in sub-Saharan Africa.

Why?

Because he ploughed a load of money into research into it.

Did you hear about it?

No, because he doesn't like shouting about his philanthropism. Because he doesn't have a big ego.

Just thought i'd let you know, but he's pretty much wiped out deafness in young kids in sub-Saharan Africa.

Why?

Did you hear about it?

No, because he doesn't like shouting about his philanthropism. Because he doesn't have a big ego.

puntastic

Imagine if they'd have gift-aided it

hAAHAAAHA!!

brilliant.

he's still evil - everyone knows helping sick children is just a cover for his plans.

edit: replaced multi-syllable word for shorter one that you'll all understand

Edited by poopipe

Why?

Did you hear about it?

The gates foundation has donated $37.6 billion to stuff like that :o

Your joking? Words=eaten.

My opinion has increased it's way along the positive spectrum in that case.

My company is paying a large amount of money for me to learn action script next week, and by all accounts no one is really taking notice of silver light. We are by all means watching and waiting as to what happens with it, but i can't see it touching Flash's market share that much.

The only thing that'll come close to flash is flex, now that's something to properly embrace and look forward to and that's a adobe product too.