Wireless - - - Remote Photography

M-i-t-c-h

Right, i do remote photography and the set up as it currently is happens to be like this:

1) USB cable come out of my laptop and gets converted to a Cat 5 cable.

2) Cat 5 runs for 100ft

3) Cat 5 then is turned back into a USB and is split.

4) One USB goes into the camera, the other goes into the pan and tilt.

Now would it be possible to place a wireless cable router at the begining of 2), so the Cat 5 doesnt run for 100ft but plugs into a router

and then at stage 3) use a usb wireless dongle before the split to recieve the signal?

does anyone know if that would work and wether i would still be able to control the camera like i could through the cable, before i go buy kit to test it with?

Is there a simpler way and im way over complicating things?

any help will be must appericated!

Opps. Misread the post.

Is the camera controlled manually or via your computer? Is data direct from the camera to your PC?

In either case:

Cheap computer running XP > Set up with wireless network to your own laptop > Add a shared folder > Enable remote desktop on the cheap computer and plug in your equipment (or add your camera as a shared device - if possible, never done it myself).

In that case you can operate the cameras and data remotely and locally - Though it may cause problems occasionally. Personally I'm not a fan of wireless...

Edited by anzo

What does the USB lead do? Do you use it for framing and whathaveyou as well? Is it just a shutter release?

In this case, there's no network component, the Cat5 lead is just that, a lead. You can't replace it with a wireless network unless the camera supports a network connection - which most don't apart from for file transfer.

If you use the lead as a remote shooting tool, then stick with what you've got. If you just use it as a shutter release and you want wireless, get Pocket Wizards or similar.

I can't see it being possible, unless you could get some funny ethernet -- wireless ^v^v^ wireless -- ethernet thing that worked in place of an ethernet cable. I don't know of one though. You'd need a power supply too I guess.

You could probably get a tiny linux computer with wifi and keep that up the pole. Something like an eeePC. Would take a lot of setting up I'd imagine and probably not worth the hassle.

Or there are wifi-enabled SD cards about but I don't know if they would work, and I don't know about CF either. Couple that with a wireless remote and that could work but I don't know if the technology exists yet. http://www.eye.fi/