Compressing Files Before Backing Them Up On Dvd

Joe Aston

Im currently in the process of backing up all of my data on to dvd before i reinstall windows but i have a rather large amount of files to back up. I was thinking could i use something like tugzip to compress all my files then burn them onto dvd then when i have reinstalled xp could i just unzip them again and them by fine. It seemed to simple so i thought i would check to see if it would work or not before i start burning.

Thanks

Joe

There's no real problem with doing that, but it is a bit annoying. It'll take time and effort to compress all your files, and then if you ever want to access your files again you'll have to unzip them just to see what's there. There's no real problem with doing it, but I don't think it's worth it.

To be honest, I'd probably just buy an external drive. You can get storage for under 16p/Gb (500Gb hard drive for £80) so backing up on DVD isn't really worth the hassle IMO.

Well you'd just compress them, burn them to dvd and then uncompress them. Which is alot cheaper than an Ext HD. I've done it an it works, but with a few files I was getting Cyclic Redundancy Check Error which can be prevented by burning the disc at a slower speed. Can't be totally prevented, but you should be fine. Either that, or upload the files somewhere if you haven't got alot to backup.