I was just wondering what everyone else thinks about

Tar or

grind

which one is better write back

generally grinds are better because they give better braking performance

but tar just makes pads stick

pros and cons

grind: after to many grinds on your rim it might collapse or get flat spots

you will need harder compound pads if you have a grind otherwise your pads will just shred very quickly

tar: ruins your rim and is hard to get off

squeaks like hell and makes pads stick and in some cases can even jam pistons on maguras

Dont go anywhere near tar!! Theres no point mate!!

Grinds are definately the best because they offer more grip for the pads e.g. like when youre riding a comp and the weathers shite, youll need a grind or better pads do give the rim grip. Sometimes pads dont grip well in the rain so people add a grind and the pad finds grip and stopps you quicker and easilier.

Tar is used for making roads mate and can make you're rim grip TOO MUCH and say when you're doing a drop off and youre pad sticks, you'll be in pain.

So definatley get a grind or better pads which are specific for smooth rims. Tar is ust a big f**k up and the takes the mick to get off.

Thanks Oli

Rockpad greens are what I'm running at the moment on a light grind and they work MINT In all weathers. Check out the pad reviews for more help!!

Edited by olismithtrials

most of the people above either have never used tar or dont know how to use it properly. ive been using tar for about 3 years and appart from in wet conditions my brake is always top notch loads of bite and appart from when ive put a seriously over the top amount of tar on my rim its never stuck. the best part for me though is i dont have to grind away my rim so it lasts so much longer its disgusting