Help Me Get My Acs Off!

JoeM

Ok so I'm going rear freehub, I need to get my freewheel off. I've removed the lockring and bearings and pawls, now I'm left with the black bit thats inside all of that. I don't have access to a grinder, I have a vice though. We've tried a tool bolted down with a ratchet thing on. We then used a 2ft pole on top of that. Maybe smashing the crank round would work?

Joe

Take it to the bikeshop? They got my sprocket of my cranks which has been on there for at least 18 months, all it too was a vice and a chain whip.

My bikeshop are full of idiots, they didn't even know what a freewheel was when I asked them for a tool..

If youv got a freewheel tool it, then do this!

Get a quite long bolt through where the bb goes and put a bolt on the other side, holding the bb tool up against the freewheel. Make sure the bolt isnt tight, so the freewheel has somewhere to move! Put it in a vice, crank side down (you may need sometrhing to stop em from marking if your bothered) take your pedal off and find something like a scaffolding pole, bosh it over the end of your crank arm, and get about 2-3 people swinging from the end of the pole, works everytime for me!

Oh and youl need a good vice, as the one i have at hime bends and turns when i do this!

Owen

If youv got a freewheel tool it, then do this!

Get a quite long bolt through where the bb goes and put a bolt on the other side, holding the bb tool up against the freewheel. Make sure the bolt isnt tight, so the freewheel has somewhere to move! Put it in a vice, crank side down (you may need sometrhing to stop em from marking if your bothered) take your pedal off and find something like a scaffolding pole, bosh it over the end of your crank arm, and get about 2-3 people swinging from the end of the pole, works everytime for me!

Oh and youl need a good vice, as the one i have at hime bends and turns when i do this!

Owen

What so stick the pole on the crank arm? That sounds like a plan..

go to a car garage and ask them to weld your tool to the freewheel and see if they have a big extension bar/similar they'll probably do it for pennies/free, my mate works in a garage and they do that to his whel he's taken it off before (Y)

You could do that, or you could just wack the bit that's left of the freewheel in the vice and stick the pole on the crank and pull, hard.

I'm guessing you don't want to keep the rest of the freewheel?

Just checking, you have removed the lockring, all the bearings, the rachet bit, and all the pawls and springs?

You could do that, or you could just wack the bit that's left of the freewheel in the vice and stick the pole on the crank and pull, hard.

I'm guessing you don't want to keep the rest of the freewheel?

Just checking, you have removed the lockring, all the bearings, the rachet bit, and all the pawls and springs?

Nah i don't need it, might go see if the Volvo garage will do it :P. If not then I'll try all these methods :).

What so stick the pole on the crank arm? That sounds like a plan..

Thats the one matey!

I think youl need a bigger pole than 2ft though mate!

Another way you could try is getting the tool bolted to the crank like before, but put an adjustable on the end and tw*t it really bloody hard with the biggest hammer you can find! I know a lad who this worked for :P

Owen

6ft poles seriously? only used a breaker bar which is just over a foot long :S everyone seems to be making this out a lot harder than it is or am i missing something.

Do what someone else said in here get the proper freewheel tool, bolt through the tool and crank, buy a big 1/2inch breaker bar from halfords and a socket, thats basically how i did it.

I supposed most people don't want to spend any more money just to get a freewheel then again having the right tools helps a lot :) lucky i have it all at work :)

and as zhi nuts said decent vice helps and a really sturdy workbench helps a lot too :)

Edited by toby