Things That I'll Need.

Majixman

Basically, as a few of you will already know - I'm hopefully going to start learning to trials bike soon :D (Good start eh?)

But I'd like to know everything that I'll need, because being a beginner, I have little experience with bikes, and so have nothing for them so far.

Try and keep in mind I’m cheap, and I think I’m gonna budget myself to around £200.

What I need to know are the following things.

1) A tool kit. I've read a few previous posts on toolkits people have considered buying, or tools people carry. So far I have gathered that park tools are the way to go? ^^ When posting tools etc, if you could, I'd like to also know the kind of jobs they fix.

2) Clothing and stuff. I'd like to buy some gloves, and I need a helmet obviously. I am also thinking of getting some bikers shin pads or something (seen people wearing them). So I would like some posts with links to some nice, not too expensive gear.

3) List of bike parts/names/where they go/what they do etc. (I'm not talking about posts like 'Wheel - this is what allows the bike to move and you have two'. I'm talking about the parts which you don’t hear about unless you actually ride a bike for a sport :D he he.

4) A list of quality/popular makes.

5) Slang/abbreviations, etc etc. So I can understand your language. :D he he.

6) Any thing else you'll think I need.

Cheers (Y)

Edited by Majixman

If I were you I wouldn't bother with a toolkit as of yet, it's best to acquire the tools as you start to break things.

Get a helmet obviously (safety is most important), it's personal preference there, what feels comfortable for you and what shape you like. Piss pots are quite popular and cheap, the same goes with gloves, its personal preference. Have a look around www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk and www.tartybikes.co.uk.

For starter bikes, the majority of us started out on Onza's, they're cheap, easy to fix and can take a bashing. Again you'll find a selection of Onza's on Tartys website, do you know what size bike you want to ride? Mod or Stock?

Other than those few bits, you just need abit of commitment and practice.

Ok right, from experience, buy secondhand bikes, maybe an Onza... Check ebay most nights till something that takes your fancy comes up. Unless your mega tall, get a mod, due to them being smaller and easier to flick around makes them a hell of a lot easier to learn on.

With tools the essentials are Allen keys, adjustable spanner, tyre levers etc. Look at the fittings on the bike and buy tools for them. Shin pads, gloves and a Helmet are all good ideas, Don't try and save money by buying a cheap helmet.. it may just save your head one day. I would recommend and Met or Giro helmet, there pretty light and cool, they also fit on your head nicely.

Specalist parts are quite common in trials so I'll go through most of them.

Freewheel - It's basically a moving cog, you use these with a fixed hub, there not like your normal bike where the chain stays still. Freewheels are used by many riders due to them being light and responsive.

Freehubs - Freehubs are used on most normal bikes, except in trials there alot stronger and engage quicker compared the normal ones. They are known for being more reliable than freewheels.

Magura Brakes - Most riders use these, they are hydraulicly powered and give immense power and hold. They are perfect for trials. Another nice feature of these brakes is that you can bleed them using most fluids, for example, water.

Drilled Rims - Basically all trial riders use these, they have circles or squares cnc'd out of them to save weight.

Grind - To enhance braking performance most riders grind their rims using an Angle Grinder.

If I have forgotten anything I'm sure the other forum users will inform you on any other bits and pieces.

Also, take a look at www.tartybikes.co.uk or www.trials-uk.co.uk

Joe

Cheers for those two responses, nice and useful (Y)

I've decided I'm getting a Mod, after playing about on el christoff's mod, I prefer the size to Boss05's Stock due the the facts given. (They are easier to flick around etc).

I was also thinking about Giro helmets as when I went to the London trip I noticed most people had one :D he he.

About the gloves - are there any known makes which take a bit more than others? I don't want to get gloves which just fall apart. Also, I've seen some with like a Velcro strap, and some with no strap at all. Are any better than the other?

Cheers,

Cheers for those two responses, nice and useful (Y)

I've decided I'm getting a Mod, after playing about on el christoff's mod, I prefer the size to Boss05's Stock due the the facts given. (They are easier to flick around etc).

I was also thinking about Giro helmets as when I went to the London trip I noticed most people had one :D he he.

About the gloves - are there any known makes which take a bit more than others? I don't want to get gloves which just fall apart. Also, I've seen some with like a Velcro strap, and some with no strap at all. Are any better than the other?

Cheers,

XC ting or hebo team trials.

Alright buddy, you need to get online and chat..... lol

Right, gloves, helmets, tools and pads come to me (halfords discount). Cris and i will get you clued up as soon as you have a biek of your own, Basically if you want to stick to budget don't get pads, be a man :P As you already know a helmet is most important and Giro are very popular (i wear one) and the proce tag is again can be quite high, if it's a piss pot you would prefer you can have my old one till you get yours.

Slang-

BB- Bottom bracket (the bit in the middle that joins the crank arms, we spoke about em on the way to Cris's)

FFW- Front Freewheel (same principal as a rear freewheel 'allows the bike to move whilst going along' but at the front)

I am stumped on other slang but yeah come online and w/e :)

Tom

Brought a very nifty 'lil multi tool from Halfords today.

Clicky

I can take more photo's/scan the packaging thing to see other stuff if needed.

Tom (Boss) gave it 9/10. Seems quite a handy tool, not too big, not too heavy (for normal - non lightweight monkeys :D),

I like it :rockon:

Ahhhhh are you toms mate that had a go on my ko ko ?

Yes, And its a very nice bike indeed. (Y)

...multi allen key tool is all u really need for now..........get a cheap onza off the web......if u need any help just ask (Y)

Oh I will ;)

Headset- basically the bearings that allow the fork to move

Geo/ Geometry- Angles on the bike, head angle, BB rise, chainstay lengths, top tube lengths ect

Chainstay- Connected to the seatstay, also connected to the drop out, this makes the 'triangle' at the back of the bike.

Dropout- This basically holds the rear wheel in place. Stocks tend to have 'vertical' dropouts, and mods have 'horizontal'.

Freewheel skip- If your riding mod, welcome to the world of FFW skippage lol, basically where the freewheel misengages, and jolts forwards. Also happens with freehubs.