Bolt Snapped In 4-bolt Mounts

Shaun H

Snapped a bolt in my frame, it's in there really really really f**king tight. Got some pliers on 'em as hard as I possibly could and the will NOT move.

What are my options? (Taking into account I'm at Uni, the more convienient the better)

Gunna ask the tech guys if they can help me out but there's a fairly big chance they'll tell me to get bent.

dsc00221nq8.jpg

dsc00223wg4.jpg

get a smaal drill and drill a hole down the middle and make sure its nice and central because you dont wana mess the threads on the frame up....but by doing that you well release the presure and it should come out nice and easy...

i have had to do it before but you have to be so so careful on the drilling on the snapped bolt.

Reverse thread screwdriver? Surely you mean a left handed one :P...

Cutting a slot into the bolt head is guaranteed not to work if clamping it with a pliers hasn't worked already. I'm guessing the bolt sheared off because it's been tightened against the bottom of the bolt hole, so the threads in the frame should be fine. Another vote for the Molegrips/Visegrips here.

Edited by psycholist

I'd first soak it in WD40, then get some big mole grips and try my best to undo it.

Sounds like the bolt's at the bottom of the thread, so it's been forced against the bottom of the frame, so it's wedged.

Get a slightly bigger spacer for the next bolt. - I found that the rollers our of KMC Kool chains are perfect size. ;)

Sounds like the bolt's at the bottom of the thread, so it's been forced against the bottom of the frame, so it's wedged.

Get a slightly bigger spacer for the next bolt. - I found that the rollers our of KMC Kool chains are perfect size. ;)

That's what it's done initially. Then it's somehow stripped the thread only at the bottom of the mount, then as I've tried to take the bolt out, the swarf has been dragged through the rest of the threads chewing them up until it got so hard to undo that the bolt just sheared on me.

Already ordered some custom spacers off of Edd Potts.