Laptop Problems.

Will_R

Ok so I was watching a tv program on 4OD then suddenly everything on the screen starts getting fuzzy then the picture starts to melt with loads of random colours!?

Could anybody shed some light on what appears to be wrong?

Starts of like this:

will2009.jpg

Then gets worse...

will2010.jpg

Then after about a minute it looks like this:

will2.jpg

The laptop had been on about half an hour, had t-f and 4od player open, nothing else, this is like the millionth thing to go wrong but this time i have no idea what it is, pleease help :)

Thaanks Will.

Unfortunately identifying the problem could be expensive...I'd say it was a graphics card problem but the only way of telling is to try it in a different laptop or to buy a new card...but if it still doesn't work its a useless expense.

Probably the best bet is to remove the hard drive and stick it on e-bay as a faulty product and get a little money back on it; then buy a new one...thats what I'd do if I were satisifed that it was f**ked :)

I'd say it was a graphics card problem

Me too. If you're lucky it'll have just overheated a bit and once you let it cool down it might work again. Does it work now? If it does work now, don't use it too much and try and sort out the cooling inside it. It might be full of dust or the heatsink might have come off.

That's probably good news. I'm 80% sure it's it's the cooling on your graphics chip. Have you dropped it recently? You might have dislodged the heatsink so it can't cool down properly. The pattern looks very similar to when my graphics card overheats.

If it IS that, you (or someone more knowledgeable) will have to open it up and re-attach the heatsink, probably with some new thermal paste. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

I'd say you've almost definitely fried the GPU. Even if you do manage to re-attach the heatsink, the chip is nackered. Let's hope you haven't got an onboard graphics card!

Nah I wouldn't be so sure. I have to underclock my graphics card on my PC. If I try and play a game with it and forget to underclock it, it artifacts horribly like in those pictures. As soon as I turn it down, it cools off a bit and it works fine. It's been like that for 3+ years.

Contrary to what everyone has said, it's not the GPU.

It's worse, it's the screen.

It's pretty easy to tell the difference in problems between the two, the photos you show clearly display analogue display problems, as opposed to digital display problems that the GPU would churn out. Also, as it gets worse over time this is another clear sign that this is an analogue problem rather than a GPU problem.

If it was the GPU you could get it replaced, but unfortunately while you can get the screens on laptops replaced it's usually as expensive as buying a new laptop.

Forgot to add, everything freezes when the screen does this, would that still be the screen causing the problem? If i keep hitting 'start' for a while it returns to normal for about 5 seconds then decends into it's spaz self.

Is that a HP Pavillion dv2000?

Yeh it is, has been nothing but trouble, in the last year and 2/3 months it's already had a new hard drive, speakers, cd drive, problems with overheating, now this and the new cd doesn't even open. Shame because it's great when it works, but it's fooking annoying breaking all the time. Hp warrenty is b*ll*cks, consumer rights will be getting another e-mail. Waste of £700!!

Cheers guysssss, Will :)

Edited by Will_R

Forgot to add, everything freezes when the screen does this, would that still be the screen causing the problem? If i keep hitting 'start' for a while it returns to normal for about 5 seconds then decends into it's spaz self.

Yeh it is, has been nothing but trouble, in the last year and 2/3 months it's already had a new hard drive, speakers, cd drive, problems with overheating, now this and the new cd doesn't even open. Shame because it's great when it works, but it's fooking annoying breaking all the time. Hp warrenty is b*ll*cks, consumer rights will be getting another e-mail. Waste of £700!!

Cheers guysssss, Will :)

Well I have had one for about 14 months with no problems except for some drivers. :mellow: