Msn Virus

mcinnes

I'm pretty sure some of you guys have had it or still have it. It's a kind of virus ( i think :unsure: ) that sighns (sp?) you out, then sends links to your cantacts. When you click on the link, you then also have the virus.

Can anyone get rid of it, or is it even a virus ?

I have run multiple scans and reset my computer back to December, but hasn't worked.

Please help me if it is possible, really starting to piss me off !

Edited by mcinnes

Do a search of your whole machine (not virus check) looking for the name that comes up in the message that is sent to your contacts, this may not help in your case but it got rid of mine! But saying that my 'error' didn't sign me out so i dont know if that will help! Good Luck anyway and im sure someone with more knowledge will help more!

Get a good anti-virus, I use avast. Do a full system scan that should identify the problem(s). once it's found it delete it. Then restart your computer and boot up in safe mode, go to Start>Run> type 'msconfig' and hit enter. you should have a window open called system configuration (or something similar) click the startup tab. open your interent browser and open this page - http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php now search each one in the list on the start up tab in the search bar on that website disable the ones which the website says you can disable. after that you'll have to restart and all should be fine.

thats how i got rid of the last one i had after I let my brother use my pc for 1 night and he got 2 viruses

Gav

I have banned everyone but me from going on my computer now, as ive spent a small fortune on it now and dont want them doing it as i know what this virus is like!

We put my Hdd in my mates comp to test it when i got the virus, it infected his computer as soon as we clicked the power switch on...

I have banned everyone but me from going on my computer now, as ive spent a small fortune on it now and dont want them doing it as i know what this virus is like!

We put my Hdd in my mates comp to test it when i got the virus, it infected his computer as soon as we clicked the power switch on...

That was just silly. You could have used something else :P

As said above with Avast, do that, and your PC will return to normal :]

I'm getting a new iPod on saturday, and if i don't manage to get rid of the virus by then, will the virus go onto the iPod once it has been connected ?

Thanks for the detailed step by step guide Gav, I sure hope it works. I will try tomorrow.

I'm getting a new iPod on saturday, and if i don't manage to get rid of the virus by then, will the virus go onto the iPod once it has been connected ?

Thanks for the detailed step by step guide Gav, I sure hope it works. I will try tomorrow.

I'd doubt it, but i wouldn't be taking the risk try and get rid of it before you hook your ipod up.

although i did know of someone how had it on there pc and the second they added an external hard drive it became infected and was a bit harder to get rid of.

I'd doubt it, but i wouldn't be taking the risk try and get rid of it before you hook your ipod up.

although i did know of someone how had it on there pc and the second they added an external hard drive it became infected and was a bit harder to get rid of.

Re-Format. 5 Mins later, sorted.. I should think ?

Re-Format. 5 Mins later, sorted.. I should think ?

I think every time you try and delete it duplicates itself or something but even after you've deleted it the next time you switch it on you've got it again. thats why you have to remove it from start up then just leave the file alone it basically becomes dormant and you don't need to delete it because it's about 20kbs

a reformat would have worked but you don't want to lose 500 gb of course work, drawings, and photos and it would have taken longer to back it up than just to source it and remove it.

ive found trojan horse virus like to sit in the java folders. best thing to do, (i found) was to run AVG it would locate it but couldnt delete it, so while the scan was running i used to go find the offending file and delete it, used to work every time

just be glad you dont have an advanced trojan. some of them can open and close your cd drive and loads more weird things

Edited by python_man

I had this aswell for a while. You need file called MSNAdvertRemoval which you can find from www.amaderforum.com.

I'm guessing everyones talking about the virus that goes around telling people that they can find out who's blocked them on MSN?

This should sort it out in 99% of cases.

Rich

I had this aswell for a while. You need file called MSNAdvertRemoval which you can find from www.amaderforum.com.

I'm guessing everyones talking about the virus that goes around telling people that they can find out who's blocked them on MSN?

Rich

Thats the virus I was talking about, thanks mate.

Rich

I can't find the download or any forums to do with MSN ADVERT REMOVERon that website.

theres the other virus, send you a message saying something like " do you think these pictures are suitable for myspace?" then another message appears with a .Zip folder named like jsdifbjsuij.

Thats a badun at the moment.

Sorry if this seems like a Hijack. It is to do with Virus's though.

I've got one on my Laptop at the moment, which comes up about twice a day, BUT, I can't delete it. I also can't move it, cut it etc etc.

Any idea what I can do.

Technically speaking, it's a Trojan, or that's what comes up when Avast says "Warning, Warning, a Virus has been found"