Replacing Ring Drive Mechanism

mehukatti

Has anyone replaced the core Ring Drive mechanism on an old Chris King rear hub? How did it turn out? I think the core mechanism is the Drive Ring and Driven Ring which can be seen below. I really haven't had much skipping, and something tells me that don't fix it if it aint broke, but still it could be an interesting experiment. I have already gone through the following upgrades over the years on my old "Universal" type hub which I originally bought over 5 years ago:

-fitted ISO hub shell and kept the old internals

-replaced the original aluminum drive shell with the stainless steel one

-put in heavy duty axle and fun bolts

I have had the driven ring lying around in my tool box, and just ordered the drive ring from Aspire Velotech since I needed some other stuff from there, too.

PHB511.jpg

PHB512.jpg

I think basicly what I'm wondering is that if I put in some brand new internals, how will they work with the rest of the hub.

Yes, I have both of them.

And yes, I have replaced almost everything over the years, but I have felt that it is cheaper to do upgrades than to replace the whole hub - because then also a new wheel has to be built.

Edited by mehukatti

I've clicked the link but cant work it out.

The BMX hub uses the same shell as a Chris King classic/ISO, right?

So if I was to take my short driveshell off, and axle out, surely I have a standard Chris King ISO hub body?

I then put a standard 135mm length HD Axle in, and the Stainless Steel driveshell makes up the extra width, and I have a standard CK ISO?

Theory says yes, you say no. Can you explain, please?

At the top it says hub type ,axle type etc doesn't it. Then one column in from the right it says upgrade and conversion options.

Under the chart of all the hub specs there is a little box with the upgrade and conversion options listed :

1. Convertible to 135mm one piece axle

2. Convertible to 130mm, 135mm and 140mm axle widths when using a two piece axle

3. Convertible to stainless steel driveshell

Then above that in the column that says upgrade and conversion options in the chart, the row that falls on the BMX hub has no numbers listed.

That's because the BMX hub already has an SS driveshell as far as I know, it's just a shorter one, so you wouldnt be able to upgrade it to anything. The internals are exactly the same in both hubs, and my hubshell is a standard ISO hub, it's just got a shorter driveshell and axle in it, therefore I SHOULD be able to just take off the driveshell, and put a longer one on (standard SS one) and a new standard 135mm axle, and it would work.

What I'm saying is that the MTB hubs have buy-to-order upgrades availble, but the BMX ones dont.

The internals on both hubs are exactly the same, so why can't it happen?

Edited by JonMack