Brake Boosters

stunt man t

hi guys!

i got a tensile brake booster for my mod about 5 months ago,

couldnt wait to get home and fit it,

but when i did all i noticed was it stoped my brake squeeling.

there was no difference to the performance atall.

are they just another way of rinsing my hard earned cash or not??

Booster.jpg

as u can see it was on for like1 month tops,

i might sell it if anyones interested,

got all bolts,washers and spacers

What the brake booster does is reduce the flex which your brake puts through your frame, i thought the amount of flex that is put through your frame via a hs33 would not be noticeable to the eye and only be very minor, but it isnt! Take the booster off, set the brake up as you usualy would and unless you have a frame with a built in booster like a Gu or some thing then you will be able to see the brake push the frame outwards. Then apply the booster and do the same and the frame will not flex as hard as it does withought the booster, also you will feel a firmer feel with the lever.

i rode for about 2 years and never toutched a booster, untill i bought a bike with one on, i would never buy one unless it would have been uber cheap or free. once the booster was fitted i noticed such a differance and now i wont ride withought one, I use a 2 bolt echo team booster and i love it!

Riding without a booster on some frames will result in them cracking for example this was comon with pythongs.

Like i say, have a look with the booster on and again with it off, you *should* be able to visualy see the differance. the way it stops your brake making a noise is posibly a good thing!

And as many prople will point out, they stop you kicking your bridge off and you dont have to spend ages re fitting a new one!

I always found that fitting a really stiff booster to my already stiff frame (onza t-rex) like the echo control booster actually resulted in a worse performing brake than without one. The booster removed any noise and made the setup so stiff the pads wore down faster.

Edited by Krisboats

I haven't got my booster on at the moment, but it will be going back on soon, it normally does reduce the noise of the brake but i'm pretty sure that the brake makes the noise due to vibrations? I find running a brake booster also lowers the chance of getting arm pump in comps, as when you don't have one and hold the brake on for long periods your muscles are fighting against the flexing action of the frame, with a booster on that force is much less. I find the brake also holds better when running the booster.

so if you like a noisy brake don't run one but if you like one that works run the booster :P

It's stopped squeaking because there is less vibrations because of the booster.

With my Vee brake, when a bolt on the caliper loosens off a bit, my brake gets really loud and sounds awesome, then I notice the bolt, tighten it back up, and it goes all quiet again. >_<