Anyone Do Skiing Or Snowboarding?

Boswell

yeah, taken it up this year, just got back from the pyrenees with some friend's. I'll probably be keeping up the boarding throughout the year at the various indoor places and the local dry slope to me. Possibly going to new zealand boarding in the summer and then tp the alps later in the year.

I've picked it up reasonably well and did quite a bit of off piste and a few red run's. I think i need to brush up my technique before i start jumps as I'm not amazingly confident turning when i have a lot of speed and just need to sort a few things out with the front foot steering as sometime i feel like I'm forcing the board round with my back foot.

The funny thing is I'm comfy on the blue and red slopes and off piste doing turns at a moderate speed but i really struggle on the pretty much flat runs between chair lifts. For example there was one on la mongie last week that i hated as it was pretty much flat but soooo hard pack/icey you picked up a lot of speed and it was quite narrow in places and i didnt seem to be able to just ride flat on the board, it always stepped out very so often and tried to catch an edge. Maybe i just need to work on my edge to edge control and become more subtle with it.

P1000239.jpg

Edited by hugh_b

QUOTE (hugh_b @ Mar 11 2008, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've picked it up reasonably well and did quite a bit of off piste and a few red run's. I think i need to brush up my technique before i start jumps as I'm not amazingly confident turning when i have a lot of speed and just need to sort a few things out with the front foot steering as sometime i feel like I'm forcing the board round with my back foot.

The funny thing is I'm comfy on the blue and red slopes and off piste doing turns at a moderate speed but i really struggle on the pretty much flat runs between chair lifts. For example there was one on la mongie last week that i hated as it was pretty much flat but soooo hard pack/icey you picked up a lot of speed and it was quite narrow in places and i didnt seem to be able to just ride flat on the board, it always stepped out very so often and tried to catch an edge. Maybe i just need to work on my edge to edge control and become more subtle with it.

thats probably one of the main things to catch beginner/moderate riders out to be honest, im guessing you catch an edge and just kinda flop forward and land on your front? make sure you keeping as much as you can on your back foot, and stand as upright on the board as you can.

i snowboard whenever i can, i wouldnt say i 'do' it though is it really relies on my parents taking me. i managed to perfect my edge turns in austria this winter though. and got to the stage when i could 180 and do some basic grabs off little lips on the piste, spent a couple days in the halfpipe aswell, couldnt get the balls to try more than a small airs and little grabs. im lucky enough to have had like 6 weeks worth of snowboarding, easilyyy my favourite type of holiday.

I love Snowboarding, can't get enough of it.

Trying to get [to Cas] more and more cos artificial snow is so much better than dry slope!
Yeah but it doesn't even compare to the real thing. 100 metres in a metal box in Leeds compared to miles and miles of pistes with trees and features and views, and oh my, I want to go snowboarding again. Also when Cas is £30 a go for a couple of hours, it's almost cheaper to go for a week in France somewhere. You can do it for under £400 for 6 days in the snow.

post-40-1205267992_thumb.jpg

You know it makes sense.

QUOTE (hugh_b @ Mar 11 2008, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<picture>

That's some good there ;)

your a bit late now most of the snow is gone (although it's snowing on the hills today), mid january it's awesome, either in the nevis range, the lecht, or the cairngoroms.

but saying that, the price of driving up here, finding somewhere to stay, getting a ski pass is gonna be 200-300 anyway and for another hundred or so you could be in the french alps

but if i take the plane up there wont be half as much hopefully, next year i might go up around there then, might have to get some lads from here to come with me.

went snowboaringi canada this jan just gone, was amazing! Never done it before but was cruising healside -> toeside carving around happy as larry within an HOUR!!! would recommend it to anyone, such good fun and unlike anything else.

Nailed all the black runs before we left as well! woohoooo!!!!

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Haha, that video's ace - It's from DC's Mtnlab 1.5. Couldn't find that clip on youtube when I wanted to show someone, so nice one for finding it.

Apparently Ken Block (the guy who owns DC) just has a massive playpark in the snow with a private park, skidoo things, MX bikes, rally cars. Why aren't I on the DC world team? :(

yeh mtn lab films are fantastic! watched a few clips in a shop in canada but he didnt have the dvd for me to buy :( found a few dvd rips online since though (Y)

Honistly, Have you EVER seen air like this?

br3n.jpg

LOL! :D I wanna take my kite next time.... :D

Edited by br3n

That vid is awesome Bren.

I'm off to Banff in Canada this sat. Can't wait as it will be my first time on a mountain. Had a few lessons at X-Scape in Milton Keynes, but even as a complete novice, it feels very limited in there.

Bring on the mountains :)

I'm off to Xscape in Castleford tomorrow morning for a couple of hours.

Perfecting linked turns at speed :)

I want to go on hol this summer boarding but don't really have the time to and can't afford to go to Canada or stuff. Guess I'll have to wait until later nearer Christmas I guess.

make sure you keeping as much as you can on your back foot, and stand as upright on the board as you can.

I just read this. Seems like pretty strange rubbish advice to me.

Your weight should be central on the board, 50-50 between your feet. Otherwise you'll be twisting the board when you're trying to move from edge to edge which makes it much harder to turn. The only time you ever need to lean back is in deep powder, if your nose keeps going under. It's piss easy to turn in powder so you don't need much weight on your front foot.

Also, you're much less likely to catch an edge if you bend your knees. Or at least, if you do catch an edge you're less likely to crash if your knees are bent and you can compensate. As a complete beginner you'll catch edges all the time because of poor technique, but as soon as you get a bit better you'll only catch edges when there's some slight undulations in the snow or something to catch you out. This is when bending your knees and keeping relaxed and fluid is doubly important.

Snowboarding > Ski's

Been boarding for a good 5 years now.

and before davtrials gets in here. Them ski blades are fooking shite.

Blades are the best thing ever in the world every

I cant board, i never liked it, i wasnt fod of ski's i found them to clumsy

i found blades and got good

very good:)

and i can ski, got medals and stuff, yay me

That vid is awesome Bren.

I'm off to Banff in Canada this sat. Can't wait as it will be my first time on a mountain. Had a few lessons at X-Scape in Milton Keynes, but even as a complete novice, it feels very limited in there.

Bring on the mountains :)

been there a few times in the banff springs hotel(the big castle)

i cant tell you of a better place ive ever been in my life ever ever ever.

Edited by Davetrials

I just read this. Seems like pretty strange rubbish advice to me.

Your weight should be central on the board, 50-50 between your feet. Otherwise you'll be twisting the board when you're trying to move from edge to edge which makes it much harder to turn. The only time you ever need to lean back is in deep powder, if your nose keeps going under. It's piss easy to turn in powder so you don't need much weight on your front foot.

Also, you're much less likely to catch an edge if you bend your knees. Or at least, if you do catch an edge you're less likely to crash if your knees are bent and you can compensate. As a complete beginner you'll catch edges all the time because of poor technique, but as soon as you get a bit better you'll only catch edges when there's some slight undulations in the snow or something to catch you out. This is when bending your knees and keeping relaxed and fluid is doubly important.

agree, very bad advice, weight should be on the foot in the direction you want to travel... also bending the knees helps absorb any bumps etc which might throw your weight and result in an unwanted edge -> face/ass -> tumble!

it's crap advice, unless your learning to link turn

I mean if your facing into the slope you'll want to have your weight on your toe edge to keep the speed down aswell as prevent the heel edge from digging in but just as you start to come around so that your facing down the slope you'll need to make the transition between toe and heel pretty quickly to prevent your toe digging in.

basically the best peice of advice you can get for snowboarding is just to be smooth and relax, if you get tense you'll make silly mistakes and land up on your face/ass, if you make your moves to quickly and jerky you'll also end up on your face/ass, sometimes you'll have to act fast, but most of the time you can just glide along and enjoy the ride.

If you're just learning (especially on dendex/snowflex) it's a lot easier to turn if you keep ~75% of your weight on your front foot. But that's not really good technique technique and you don't need to do that on snow. It's just a practise thing though - eventually turning will become second nature and it'll feel just like you're leaning forwards and backwards, transferring your weight from heel to toe and back - with equal weight on each foot.

went snowboaringi canada this jan just gone, was amazing! Never done it before but was cruising healside -> toeside carving around happy as larry within an HOUR!!! would recommend it to anyone, such good fun and unlike anything else.

Nailed all the black runs before we left as well! woohoooo!!!!

Where about did you go in canad?/

Anyone been to fernie in Canada?

Im going on wednseday :P

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

I want some of these:

picture2f3fca.png

They're Burton Cargo Pants, Medium, Dublin Green. Anyone know where to get them? I've been told that 'Spin Trading' who are the UK Burton distributer but can't find their contact details anywhere!

Grr :(

• 2 weeks later...