Reduced Confidence From Switching Components..

Gandalf the Yellow

did this happen to any of you when you tried switching from a freehub to a freewheel?

i found yes, i had my solid pro2 (06) and it never really skipped, i can kick as hard as can and not worry too much, now i've made the switch to an eno and starting to regret it, it skips a lot more often, it is still fairly new and dave (mrkoxx) said they take a while to bed in... not sure if i've gone past that stage but i have to have a go at everything more lightly which is a bit restricting especially on gaps...

let me know what you think on this..

steve

I'm using an ENO since January and it's better in every way than the freehub I used to have. I made the change in order to get a BMX chain as the 8 speed chains I had tended to suffer mashed rollers and snap after a while, so I had very little confidence kicking hard using that setup. The ENO has given me a lot more confidence and control (Which still isn't much, but I've got significantly better in the past 3 months than I got in the preceding year on the previous setup). My ENO has never skipped so far.

did this happen to any of you when you tried switching from a freehub to a freewheel?

i found yes, i had my solid pro2 (06) and it never really skipped, i can kick as hard as can and not worry too much, now i've made the switch to an eno and starting to regret it, it skips a lot more often, it is still fairly new and dave (mrkoxx) said they take a while to bed in... not sure if i've gone past that stage but i have to have a go at everything more lightly which is a bit restricting especially on gaps...

let me know what you think on this..

steve

Strip 'n' clean it. The grease comes out of the sealed bearing and gets all up in yo pawlz grillz, so you might wanna give it a clean and get the gunk out of it. After you ride it the first few times, it'll largely seep out, so get involved and it should be louder and less skip-happy.

Other than that, all I'd say is try not to think about it. That sounds like a wishy-washy way of dealing with it, but it's largely in your mind. If you think of how ridonkulously huge some of the top riders in the World go using freewheels (I can't believe so many of them used to use ACS Claws :S), there's nowt to worry about! At the end of the day, it's a simple mechanical item, so you should be able to sort whatever problems you have out with it by methodically working through it. Clean it, maybe bend the springs if you really want (I didn't bother, usually), etc. - plenty of solutions. Make sure you take the pawls out when you clean it, as grease can gather underneath the pawls and that's what really sticks them down.

Tutorial on stripping Enos in the Wiki/FAQ section (Y)

I made the change in order to get a BMX chain as the 8 speed chains I had tended to suffer mashed rollers and snap after a while, so I had very little confidence kicking hard using that setup.

I run a BMX chain with my King, I'm not sure why you need to run a freewheel just to use BMX chains?

I changed bike at the same time and since I was only planning to use one gear I specifically only bought singlespeed parts. Freewheels seem to be better value for money and less likely to crap themselves than freehubs, so it was an easy decision. Only thing I don't like about freewheels is that your pedalling is acting to tighten the freewheel onto the cranks, so it'll be a complete basturd to remove it when it does need replacing, mounting the freewheel onto a deep spline on the crank with a cassette style lockring would be a lot better I reckon...

"i found yes, i had my solid pro2 (06) and it never really skipped, i can kick as hard as can and not worry too much"

With that sort of confidence in the Hope set up........... what possesed you to change?

i changed aswell, so i could get a lighter set up, also the weight is in the middle of the bike not over the back end.

I loved my pro2 i changed to tensile frewheel but it was a bodge as it was running on 4pawls and since i havnt trusted it but ive got a new one now and once thats bedded in ill trust it as much as a pro2.

"i found yes, i had my solid pro2 (06) and it never really skipped, i can kick as hard as can and not worry too much"

With that sort of confidence in the Hope set up........... what possesed you to change?

new frame, i went modstock... and basically what basher said about weight and balance.

why don't hope make a mod hub :P??

my eno skipped loads for a couple of months,then i change my bb to a un-bent one and its been fine ever since (Y)

hmmm interesting there, though my freewheel is brand new, crank brand new, bb brand new..

steve